What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to a bog to get myself some pictures!

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
I am visiting a bog here in Ohio tomorrow. Will be a 3 hour drive, but this bog is worth it. One of the only few remaining in Ohio. Has a large group of S. purpurea and some Drosera. Will be taking many pictures of what is still in the area. Hope things haven't gone too far into dormancy yet.

I was there in 95-96 and had a wonderfull time. Went there with a class, later with friends, and even took my parents once.

I will hopefully post pictures of my visit tomorrow.

Nick

Here in NY Drosera rotundifolia and intermedia have formed their hibernacula and, in your bog, might be hard to see. Look for the brown scapes protruding from the moss. Here, there are still some active traps remaining.

OHIO!?! where? i'm in ohio and would be into checking it out also!

peace,
technoracer
living in barberton, just south west of akron

Just got back from the bog. Well, we did a few other things. Much more overgrowth than before. Still lots of large clumps of S. purpurea and I did manage to find a few Drosea still in leaf.

I was taking a photo of a very young S. purpurea when I heard a very close noise. I looked over to see a snake slither past about 1 foot from my head. Tried to get a photo... Will know later if I did.

Will post a few pictures here and on my website later tonight.

Nick

Ok, I have some photos up on my website. The direct link is: http://hubben.crosswinds.net/cps/OhioBog.html

You can also find the page by following the links at CP Carnivorium

[edit 9/28/2002 11:55PM]

Ok, here is at least one photo
smile.gif

SpurpureaRedForm1.jpg

Here are a few of the Drosera I came across.

DroseraRotundifolia.jpg

Awsome. I'm in MI and hopefully will be at our local bog for photoes this week too!

Great pics Nick! I love the ones on your site they are just gorgeous!

Well, today I got bored. To get rid of the bordom my wife and I took a day trip back to the bog.

The bog is a much different place after the winter. Below you will find some photos of the bog 3 days into Spring.

FloodedBoardBalk.jpg

The bog water level is much higher. Here you can see that the boardwalk is flooded. It was very slippery when I crossed it.

BogEarlySpringEntrance.jpg

The entrance to the bog. Looks almost lifeless. You can see that the ferns had been cleared away. Not sure if this was done by humans or animals. There were traces of both.

S_purpureaBBogOldFriend.jpg

This S. purpurea can be seen on my website from September 2002. This plant has been eaten. Many of the pitcher plants had their tops eaten over the winter months.

SpurpureaBoardWalk.jpg

This is the same plant from the previous photo. This photo was taken on 9/28/2002.

S_purpureaBBogNearBoardwalk.jpg

Another S. purpurea.  Many of the plants that appeared to have no color in the fall now show deep purple coloration.

S_purpureaCloseup.jpg

A somewhat close photo of a S. purpurea ssp. purpurea pitcher.

S_purpureaBBogYoung.jpg

It was nice to see young plants growing.

S_purpureaFlooded2.jpg

Yes, S. purpurea ssp. purpurea can handle the flooding. Although a bit worn out, this plant will recover and do nicely when the temps warm up. It was about 55°F today.

S_purpureaBBogOnClumpMoss.jpg

This plant was growing on the side of a sphagnum moss clump.

Hope you enjoyed the photos. Now, I need to find some $$ to get a new digital camera. This one was never ment for these types of photographs.

smile.gif

Absolutely Magnificent, gorgeos plants. Did you take a few samples? Im not the one to field collect, in the past I have dug around VFT rhizome and scraped a bit off, but never done it to pitcher plants as this can kill the plant, I dont like field collecting, but I dont think just scraping a little rhizome is considered Field collecting?

Taking any plant out of its native habitat is field collecting. One person takes one plant/rhizome...multiply that by 100 visitors who each think "its only one plant." You are not the only one to have that thought. That is why these plants are protected. There would be no need for Nick (or anyone else) to take any of these plants. S. purpurea is readily available at CP and many non-CP nurseries. Thats the beauty of nursery propagation.

Nick...I really enjoyed the photos.
smile.gif
Isn't it neat to see how the plants and landscape change through the seasons? Lovely photos. Thanks!

Suzanne

I did not take any plants from the site. There is a sign stating no collecting of plants or animals without pemission. Last year I did ask for permission to collect some seeds. My request was not granted and no seeds were collected.

If you do want seeds of this species ( Sarracenia purpurea spp. purpurea ), they are available from the ICPS and various cp nurseries.

The plants growing in this bog are wonderful. One of the nicest things about seeing the bog, today, was that I could see many more pitcher plants. During the growing season, many had been covered by ferns and other plants. Since the debre had been cleared, either by humans or animals, it was much easier to see the S. purpurea. I did not come close to guessing the number of plants when I was there in September of 2002. Looking out into the bog was just amazing.

The Drosera rotundifolia are still dormant. No new growth was noticed on the 4 plants I did happen to see. These little fellows are hard to spot.

[Edited: 3/23/2003 10:10PM EST]

Another reason that it is wrong to field collect "only one" is because it reduces they diversity of the genes. Since cp's are not widespread and they only seem to grow in a very small area, it can cause inbreeding and this is very harmful. If you take one plant and there is only 150 plants at that site, it can be devastating to the future population of the plant. In this situation it will limit it's gene diversity.
If you want to field collect you should go to the icps's website. They have rules to field collection.

I would never EVER think of field collecting, just scraping some rhizome, because its not illegal in indiana, and the bogs ive been too there. Oh, and I take the rhizome right home and put it in my terrarium that will simulate there natural habitat.
But it truly is amazing, the temptation that envelopes you to want to dig out these plants and plant them in your own pot and bring them home, it is so hard to ignore this urge, Ive had to many times.

I think we have all had that urge. Who woundn't want to take home these plants. But the reason I grow these plants is because of the love I have for them and I know it's better for the plants to stay where they are.
I don't know the laws in Indiana but if you scraped the rhinzome of a vft, you broke the law. In North Carolina the law is that you can not take any part of the plant or minerial. That means you can not take a leaf, seed, stem, soil or even a rock.
Scraping the rhinzome can be harmful. It's like a cut on an animal, it opens the plant up for disease.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (0zzy @ Mar. 23 2003,8:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't know the laws in Indiana but if you scraped the rhinzome of a vft, you broke the law. In North Carolina the law is that you can not take any part of the plant or minerial. That means you can not take a leaf, seed, stem, soil or even a rock.
Scraping the rhinzome can be harmful. It's like a cut on an animal, it opens the plant up for disease.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
yes, and you can have up to a $10,000.00 fine or more and/or up to 1 year in jail for feild collecting venus flytraps (or their seeds) ANYWHERE they are found.

oh, and scraping riozhomes is also 'feild collecting'

Indiana, I thought they were native to South and North Carolina....?
confused.gif

They are only native to North Carolina and a very small area in South Carolina. There are no native vft's in Indiana. There is a small area in Florida that has vft's but they were transplanted. I have also heard that there is some transplanted in Michigan, but I can't say for sure.

Hi Nick,

I grew up in Ohio and went to college there (Kent State). Where is this bog, it looks great. I would love to visit. I will be visiting some of Michigan's CP areas this spring and summer but I don't have a digital camera and my scanner is broken (too cheap to buy a new one) so I won't be able to post pictures. I will post a description of what I'm able to find.

Keep posting the great pictures. I agree with you, take photos not plants!

Glenn

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (0zzy @ Mar. 24 2003,03:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They are only native to North Carolina and a very small area in South Carolina. There are no native vft's in Indiana. There is a small area in Florida that has vft's but they were transplanted. I have also heard that there is some transplanted in Michigan, but I can't say for sure.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I'm not sure if I should say this, (people might wild collect them) but they were also transplanted to northern california. Also heliamphora, the heliamphora grew for about 5 or more years, then someone poached them!
mad.gif

Back