What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitures from my trip

puleu2m.jpg

Click on the link to see more photos.

http://web2.airmail.net/muntzy1/alancps.html

I have finally finished putting a website together so that I can share with all of you the awsome beauty of cp's in the wild.
In early June, I got to participate in a clean up and maintenance job at a private savanna preserve near Beaumont, TX. Some volunteers and naturalists came in from Houston and Dallas, seven us in all. The reward was the opportunity to take photos of of some beautiful stands of S. alata and red carpets of pink sundews. After going back home and looking through my pics, and having only seen S. alata in the wild,  I wanted more.
I sometimes like to travel with no particular destination, just traveling the backroads of a given region of the country. As Captain Kirk always said, "Let's see what's out there", so I took a trip through the Gulf Coastal Plain in hopes of finding some stands of pitcher plants and other things that I would like to have photographs of. I figured I would be lucky to find three or four places to shoot photos, but what I found was far beyond my wildest dreams. I was fortunate enough to find stands in all of the five states that I went through, once even when I turned onto a dirt road in the middle of nowhere to find a place to take a leak.. That was when I found the massive colony of Purple Pitcher Plants. Check out the photographs on my website. It is still under construction and I know I have made mistakes identifying some of the sarr species (in particularly the hybrids), so if any of you can help me be more accurate with the id's, that would be very much appreciated.
Note that every pic was taken of subjects as they were found. When grasses or leaves obscured the shot, I simply shot through them rather than move them out of the way and in many cases, I had to forget about getting a photo at all (like when I came upon a smooth-scaled green snake, but couldn't get the pic because I would have had to trample a large clump of  S. purpureas), but in the end the successes far outweighed the dissapointments.

Enjoy the pics!

Niiiiiiiice! But shouldn't this be in the Conservation Station?
confused.gif

Great pics. It looks like you had a wonderful trip. I can't wait until my next trip to NC. It looks like I won't be able to make it this year.
sad.gif

I would love to just be able to take off and cp hunt for a few days.
I loved the pic of the flava's at KFC. That was great.

I'll let you know when I go to NC next time. I hope you'll be able to make it. I'll show you a wonderful site.

Thanks for the pics

lithopsman
Yup!

FlyTrapGurl
I didn't intend to make the post seem like a conservation subject, my actual reason was to show off some of
the photos that I shot during my travels. If I have erred, then maybe one of the mods could move it to the
Conservation Station thread. Thank you for pointing that out.

Ozzy
It's not the picture that fascinated me so much, but the place where it was shot. An acre or two of prime commercial land was surrounded by KFC, Arby's, McDonald's, you name it. A small field of orchids, wire grass, ferns, and a few stands of S. flava was all alone in a wilderness of concrete and glass.
Donna and I had planned to go to Kitty Hawk, NC this year but I don't think we'll get to. Maybe someday we will get to meet you and others in the Green Swamp. Getting some pics of wild Venus Flytraps would certainly be a treat.

It looks like some of those were pretty well camoflaged, like the psittacina in particular. I looked locally here for some purpurea that had been spotted but never found it. Maybe I should give another try.

Seems ok where it is to me.

Great photos! Did you find any weird hybrids of flava and psittacina as they look to be gorwing together in a very wet part of the bog.

WOW! That's so cool! Great pics. One of these days I have to get MY butt out into a bog.

I love these kinds of pictures since I can't get to these sites to see for myself. Thanks for posting them Alan.
smile.gif
They are so beautiful out in the wild.

Suzanne

Suzanne and Schloaty, it doesn't have to be a pitcher plant bog to visit, it just good for the soul to spend time in the wild. Just taking a stroll through a pine forest, woodland, marsh or even a grassy meadow can really clear the mind.

Alvin, I think the photo on the right labeled S. psittacina is a hybrid. In that particular site, the only sarrs growing there were flavas and psitts, yet that particular one looked different than all of the others that I saw and the pitchers stood more upright. I have to admit that I am no expert at identifying sarr hybrids so I could be mistaken, maybe it's just a form or variant.

Dyflam, seek and ye shall find (just kidding), but wouldn't it be nice if next time you went looking, you found them. I would love to see photos of purps from different parts of the country.

The Pinguicula "pumilla" has an extra "l". It is P.pumila.
Nice photos:)

CP2k, thanks for pointing out the error. Believe it or not, I used to be able to spell simple six-letter words better than that.

Back