What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light experiments

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried leaving their growlights on 24 hours a day.  Would this exhaust the plants since it's unnatural?  Also would black lights on at night do anything to help with growth?  Or do they emit the wrong type of light for plants?  I was just thinking about this and wondering if anyone has any input.  Thanks!

-buckeye

Hi Buckeye.. Plants need a rest period just like everything else. I would try to mimic the natural conditions of the plants as much as possible.I'm sure there will be a lot of difference of opinion on this subject. IMHO, I would say no, do not leave your lights on 24 hours a day.

Good luck with your plants
Steve

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (buckeye @ Aug. 04 2003,11:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also would black lights on at night do anything to help with growth?  [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
That would be interesting? Sort of cool to see cp's under a black light.
wow.gif
rolleyes.gif

These would make interesting experiments, (if you have the plants to spare)! I always like to see experiments, because this is how we advance our abilities to best grow the plants.
It's not always best to rely on "common knowledge". Sometimes common knowledge can be a myth, other times it is a goldmine!

In this case, common knowledge states that plants must have a dark period in order to "respire": this is the opposite of photosynthesis where plants take in carbon dioxide. In respiration, they take in oxygen, give off CO2, and also undergo other processes which may or may not be needful to continued good growth. It's easy to assume they are, but until tested, these are just assumptions. How long this dark period may need to be is also open to question by a good controlled experiment.

It is also said that blacklight does nothing for the plants, since the light spectrum is one the plants cannot use. I think some experiments were done using only black light for the plants, and they did not live. Would an addition of blacklight have any effect, positive or negative? You would need to grow identical plants in identical conditions except for the addition of the black light, and observe any significant differences in growth. An experiment like this would need to run for a year (the length of time needed to be able to note any difference), but it would be very valuable, since it would answer this question in a very solid way.

Back