What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emergency! need help a.s.a.p.!

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
I was outside spraying a line of carpenter ants in the gutter last night with ant killer when some of the spray got all over all my cps!
sad.gif
I rinsed them thoroughly with filtered water, but I don't know if that will save them! ***runs around panicking*** PANICKATTACKPANICKATTACK!!!

HELP!!! What do I do???

Hmmmm, they might be ok if you immediately rinsed them. The only other thing I could suggest would be to transplant immediately into new media if the plants seem to be responding negatively.

Best of luck!

Nowdays most pesticides aren't that "hard". I'm sure that nothing at all will happen. The amount on soil from a drifting spray would me small parts per billion or million at most.

Ohhhhh tank yous! I feel much better now! I will keep a close watch on them for the next few days, and I'll tell you how they are.

Thanx!

FlytrapGurl,

last summer I was really sick, flu, and in my haze grabbed HERBECIDE and sprayed all my plants when i was trying to spray pesticide on some caterpillars that were devouring all my babies... a massive rinse w/ pots tipped and everything came through shining.

I am willing to bet that if I can survive spraying herbecide at them, yours can survive pesticide!

Thanks RP! UPDATE! They are all okay so far! ***jumps up and down praising thanks to God***

Ohhhhh mannnnn!!! The three green dragons in one pot that I am taking care of for a friend are starting to die I think!!! All the leaves are blackening, going from the edges of the leaves inward! Should I transplant them??? Tell me now! I need to know today!

***groans*** I'm killing VFTs! Worse than that, I'm killing three of them! Even worse than that, they aren't mine!!!

Please help!!!
            FTG

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlytrapGurl @ May 26 2003,05:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ohhhhh mannnnn!!! The three green dragons in one pot that I am taking care of for a friend are starting to die I think!!! All the leaves are blackening, going from the edges of the leaves inward! Should I transplant them??? Tell me now! I need to know today!

***groans*** I'm killing VFTs! Worse than that, I'm killing three of them! Even worse than that, they aren't mine!!!

Please help!!!
            FTG[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Just flush it again, hopefully they just got burned and aren't actaully dieing.

Oh... is it okay if I repotted them a minute ago? I brushed as much old soil off the roots as I could and put them in a new pot with new soil. Then it started to rain just a little bit, so I figured it might do them good to leave them out in the slight drizzle so the soil could get flushed out a little more. The rain right now is very gentle and won't disturb the soil too much, just flush it a little. I took the tray out from underneath the pot so the dirty water can exit the pot better. I will put the tray back under the pot when I take it out of the rain. Anyway, think they will be okay?
sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlytrapGurl @ May 25 2003,6:O3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh... is it okay if I repotted them a minute ago? I brushed as much old soil off the roots as I could and put them in a new pot with new soil. Then it started to rain just a little bit, so I figured it might do them good to leave them out in the slight drizzle so the soil could get flushed out a little more. The rain right now is very gentle and won't disturb the soil too much, just flush it a little. I took the tray out from underneath the pot so the dirty water can exit the pot better. I will put the tray back under the pot when I take it out of the rain. Anyway, think they will be okay?  ([/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Since you had it out of the pot, how did the roots look?  If they looked OK and the growth in the center looked OK, then I think you will be fine.  It sounds like the bugspray chemicals burned the leaves or if it was petrol based, they plugged up the stomata so the leaves 'suffacated'.

The light rain will do them a world of good, so long as Mother Nature doesn't decide to do a sudden downpour on you.

alien.gif

edit @ 6:45 on 5-25-03

Just remember to baby them for transplant shock.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Hmm... roots... well, I didn't get much of a look at them, but, from the few roots I got to see poking out of the soil, they didn't look dead.

Darn rain! I put them out in the rain, like I said I did, and them the darn rain stopped after about ten minutes!!! Oh well... they got a little rain. Since it didn't rain much, I took them back onto the back porch and used literally half a gallon of water flushing the soil out! By flushing, I mean pouring water into the pot/on the soil and letting it drain out, then putting more water in pot/on soil and letting it drain out... you get the idea. Did me do good? ***looks up at everybody with a big smile on her face***
tounge.gif
Anything else I need to do to help them?

Thanx,
      FTG

Hmmm.  Don't know if flushing the soil helped, but it wouldn't  hurt either.  Especially if some of the pesticide was in the soil.  The roots not looking dead is a hopeful sign too.  I take it the growth in the center still looks OK?  

Well, I think you have done what you could to help the plant.  The rest is up to Mother Nature.  Just treat it like any CP that has just been transplanted (lots of TLC and bright indirect light) and give it some time to recover.

alien.gif

hey FTG.

I think what you need to do now, is sit back, relax, and pray for the best, you have done all you can do to rectify the problem, now it is up to the plants.

Your already experiencing dieback, that's probably like everyone said, chemical burning... now, that you have re-potted, you may experience some shock and stress, avoid the urge to do anything else.

About the only thing I think I would do at this point, is maybe give them a light misting with some ro or distilled, maybe with a light does of superthrive, I have done this to my plants, and they seem to like it. I would avoid epiphytic fertilizers for now.

Make sure they have a nice humid place to recover, and let them go about it.

Good luck, and please keep us updated.

Thanks everybody! Well, they seem to be doing ''okay'' right now, other than the fact that several new, unopened traps are dying
confused.gif

Thanks for the calm-down words, Ram! That helped!
biggrin.gif

YAY!!! They are doing relatively better! New, spring shoots are coming up from all three!
smile.gif

That's great FTG!
biggrin.gif
. Hope they continue on the road to recovery. Good job nursing them back!

Way to Go!

Thanks! ***smiles proudly***
biggrin.gif

Well, the spring shoots are taking forever to grow!
confused.gif
Each shoot took two weeks to come up completely and the traps are taking over a week just to grow cilia!
wow.gif
Is this normal for a VFT that just went through trauma?

Thanks,
       FTG

Cilia?!?!? Do you mean cilium short hairlke projection similar to flagellum; produces movement in many cells.
wink.gif
confused.gif

Back