What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous plants in the wild

Hello,
I have always wanted to see cps in the wild. How do you find out what species of cps and where you can find them in your county? Or in your state? (I'm in California)

I don't know what species are where you are, the best book on U.S. species is probably Carnivorous Plants of The U.S. and Canada by Don Schnell. Generally, aquatic utricularia are the most common, and are in many ponds, but are mainly noticeable when they flower (July-August I believe, at least around here). It can take a bit of research to find other plants, but if you can find hiking guides, they may give you some ideas on where to look. Also, if you hear of any parks with wetlands, bogs, or swamps, you might manage to find something. If there are any growers in your area, hopefully one will be able to help you.
If you're in Northern California, you might even be able to find Darlingtonia somewhere... they must really be something to see in the wild. I believe Drosera anglica may be in California somewhere, and I'm sure there are other native CPs. Sometimes a websearch will help find out what species, but it isn't easy finding places most of the time.

hmmm...I think I'm the only one who grows cps in my area! I'm on the central coast. I might ask Peter D. Amato where I can find some...He might tell me. If he does, I'll take some pics of the site and post them!
smile.gif

i live in Washington (the Seattle area) and theres a pond outside my house and a while ago i decided to go "hunting" for plants, and i found a type of utricularia, its really cool if you look at it under as microscope!I took a small sample to my science class the next day because we were using microscopes, so i know theres at leat 1 type of cp in my area!
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
Its pretty cool that there right outside my house, and in my greenhouse!
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif
Kevin

Back