What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using ultraviolet lamp on cps ?

smile.gif
Hey everybody,
I had a question regarding the usage of Ultrviolet daytime simulation lights on CPs - I have a left over hood and 5.0 UV light from my Iguana days and I was wondering if this would okay to use on my CP terrarium to provide the needed light.The lamp is typically for reptiles like the Iguana that require a lot of UV light - it simulates daylight but does not put off any heat.Does this sound okay to use for a few hours or more a day? how much light should I give my new plants...I do not want to shock them or anything.I have learned that new plants have to be treated delicately while they adjust to a new setup.They are very similiar to animals in ways that I did not realize before I got into the CP hobby.I am sorry to ask such basic questions
confused.gif
but I am really new to dealing with plants in general and CPs in particular.But you would all be proud of me as to how fast I am learning the ropes of this new hobby of mine...this is great!!!! all this time I had no idea there was a CP hobby going on out there....
wow.gif

Well, now I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

The Evil Spider Hunter

The fixture is probably fine to use but the UV bulb will do little for the plants. I would replace the bulb with a standard cool white fluorescent tube (guessing the fixture is this type).

Tony

It was my understanding that the UVB rays made a plant more colorful. UVB is found in tanning bed tubes, and in reptile lamps. (UVA on the other hand, is what burns humans and is used in ultraviolate sterilizers)

BUT the glass over your terrarium will filter out almost all of the UVB rays anyway. I remember reading that seran wrap wont though.

Hey... what about an Actinic light? we use those in the reef aquarium hobby to make our corals fluoresce. They are blue lights.

UVC is used for germicidal purposes and sterilizers. UVB is what causes sunburn. UVA along with small amounts of UVB is what is found in tanning lights. (which is why they tan without burning, although it is still very bad for your skin).

Plants produce anthocyanin in response to intense light in the blue and red spectra. UV falls outside of this range.

Normal plate glass will not block UV.
Actinic light at 420nm is good for chlorophyll A but complex plants also need light in red/far red wave lengths to grow properly. So it is not recommended to use them when you can get a daylight bulb that will put out all the wavelengths a plant can use in the proper amounts.

Getting back to the original question. A UV reptile lamp may burn your plants. It is also a waste of energy because a light bulb can only put out so much light. The plant will 'see' only the portion of light that it can utilize for photosynthesis. IF the bulb only puts out a small amount of light at these wave lengths then the rest is simply wasted energy. The net effect would be the plant would feel like it was in a dim closet as opposed to a nice bright porch...

Tony

Hi ESH

I LIKE your enthusiasm!
biggrin.gif

For my tanks I just use a simple shop light with a mix of one cool white fluorescent and one Gro-Lux. Some people use a Sun Stick. Its simple and pretty cheap and works just fine.

I'm glad you're enjoying your new plans.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Actually, I tried an experiment. I place an actinic light on an terr that that I had been using cool white and daylight. The new light was added and small. The traps took off. They grew rapidly and their color improved drastically. All of them. The drosera reacted with improved growth as well and sent up flower spikes in short order. I really do not know if this was because of the type of light or the additional light. I am going to try this on another tank (I have the extra lights) and will see what happens.

Back