What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple of mantis pics

Plantslikebugs,
Ouch and pass the asprin
tounge.gif

Hehe, not pleasant is it? But they do get rid of thrips and aphids!

Once, a while ago, my mom and I went to the store and when we were going in the house, we saw a HUGE praying mantis in the garden. My mom had a plant that was infested with aphids, so I put him (or her) on the plant, watched it go into "striking" position and then, before I knew it, WHISH! The mantis grabbed an aphid in half a second! Then it ate, and the cycle continued. I watched it for an hour! (call me obssesed if you'd like) Within three days, there wasn't a single aphid left! It was so cool!

Kevin

PS I got another pic!

http://photo.starblvd.net/mbcolle....=4&co=1

We use to have mantis in my yards but not anymore.
sad.gif
They are so cool insects armed with claws, enavling them to snatch insects within insects. Whenever I see them I use to handfeed them with wasps. Pretty interesting...how they snatch it from your hands.

after seeing that picture of the mantis eating a humming bird
i am scared they will bite my fingers when adults
sad.gif

i will get some though
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif

i don't really like the idea of one of those dare i say cuties eating hummingbirds
sad.gif
Hummingbirds eat aphids and mealybugs, you know, but I'm not saying I'm mad for posting a pic, it just disturbed me a little, and here's why:
When I was about 5 years old, I used to LOVE bugs!
biggrin.gif
(before VFT's) Anyway, once i saw a mantis at the museum, so when I got home, I devoured the yard, looking for one. I finally found a little gal, er a huge gal, about the size of my hand, son I played with it a while. Then I let it go on our porch, and she stayed on one tree for a week.
smile.gif
Also me and my friend, just about a week later caught a 16" stickbug with babies eatin' on aphids
biggrin.gif

Back