What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple of mantis pics

DCP_1302.JPG

DCP_1303.JPG

Got several of these guys all over the place.  They also like to hang out by front door, to get all the bugs that visit my front yardlight at night.

Hey! Pretty cool! Want some useless info? The Praying Mantis is the only insect with neck muscles! The only bug that can turn its head to look at you.
biggrin.gif
wow.gif

If you ever have a problem w/ aphids, just take one of those mantises and put it on the infected plant. Within 2 days, there won't be an aphid left!
biggrin.gif
*munch munch* Yum!

those things are so cool!!! I wish we had them here!

Just don't kill them as they are protected in every state in the US. I mean I am sure you wouldn't kill them anyhow! They are so cool and keep your plants pest free!
smile.gif
ANd if one does happen to get caught be kind and rescue it.
smile.gif

www.insectlore.com sells praying mantis egg cases...

I bought about 8 of them this year, gave all but one to my family. Mine hatched on Monday, and I now have about 300 of the little buggers running around my deck.
smile.gif

My whole life I have only seen one large mantis in the wild. I found one tiny one that looked newly harched eating aphids on my umbrella plant a few days ago, a pleasant surprise. They sell eggs at my Home Depot every year.

Every year i buy a couple eggcases to set free in my yard,there sooooo coo!!!
biggrin.gif

OH..

and if memory serves, Wasps have neck muscles... the thing with praying mantids, is they can see over their shoulder, unlike all other insects...

Flies also have neck muscles. Watch them clean thier feet, thier head bobbs all around and up and down.

Wow! I don't think we get praying mantises (or should that be manti) in this country. I have always wanted to see a stag beetle though. I wonder who would win in a stag v mantis fight?
biggrin.gif

Check this link for a truly bizarre photo of a mantis. Truly amazing. Found it while reading up on mantises. Wanted a better idea of what to feed the one I caught, but this is a little out of its league!
wow.gif
wow.gif

http://www.rlephoto.com/birds/hummer01.htm

the babies eat fruitflys and the adults eat crickets that you can get a petsmart.

that picture is amazing! I can hardly believe my eyes!

Plantslikebugs, you sure pay attention very well...
sad.gif

Like Rampuppy said, you can get them at: http://www.insectlore.com

Or you could try and check your local Home Depot, I see them over there all the time during summer.

BigCarnivourKid, truly an amazing pic... brutal
wow.gif

Awsome pics! I like praying mantises too...they are cool with their swiveling head. I see more babies than I do adults. The babies are really cute.
smile.gif
And yes, they are great for gardens. So don't kill 'em!

Suzanne

I luv mantids. i have some species already as pets:

chinese
african giant
orchid
bark

i have an extra egg case if anyone is interested. im pretty sure its the chinese one. Message me.

Back