What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Polyploid

Polyplod makes the plants speed up and the plant starts to make extra sets of chromosomes. Does anyone know any chemicals to make the Cps do this and are the chemicals and this process ok for Cps?
wink.gif
confused.gif

The chemicals used in a lab to create polyploid plants are highly toxic and carcinogenic. Not something you want to mess around with lightly. The process is also very technical and results are never certain.

Polyploid plants as a general rule actually grow slower and take longer to mature. Plant tissue tends to be thicker and longer lasting. They can have some positive features such as larger plant structures.

Tony

That would perrty cool for neps Have Huge pitchers that are like 3ft or 4ft big. I just wanted to know if it was ok and for public use. I am sure not going to mess with it I just wanted to know if it something you can buy on line and it would be easy to use. I am not going to be playing around with that stuff. Thanx for the information.
biggrin.gif

Just a note, sometimes increased ploidy does nothing but reduce the total number of cells in an organism. One large cell with 5 times the DNA is equivalent to 5 small cells with 1 times DNA.

I believe Ivan Snyder has done some experimenting with this on dorseras, as he has created some artificially fertile hybrids by doubling chromosone counts and such.

-noah

Back