What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

another water question

anyway, i got this coffee/cappuccino.espresso machine..and theres a little thing that steam comes out of, for making froth for capuccinos. would that water be ok to use for my CP's? i mean, its really boiled to the point where the water becomes steam.. also, i use brita filtered water for it. it would be a LOT easier to use that, than having to colloect a/c water, rain water, remembering to get distilled water everytime i go to the grocery store..etc

I don't think that would work because the chlorine would still be there. When water evaporates most of the chemicals wouldn't go with it.

If it's steam it should be OK shouldn't it?
that's how you make distilled water, you condense the steam cos it should be pure water that has gone to steam.

I think it would be OK.
As long as it is the steam you are collecting and letting cool back down. Chlorine is volatile (If I remember my chemistry) so should become a gas when you heat the water up.
you could always test it on one plant...

which one though....?

It never fails to amaze me the trouble people will go through to water their cp`s. I think buying a gallon of distilled water would be easier than collecting it from a cappuccino machine. People will spend hundred`s of dollars on ways to get the right water. I spent 2 dollars last week for 2 gallons of distilled water.

John has hit the nail on the head. If you want to perform a scientific experiment to create your own distilled water then that's OK. But, you could also probably go to the store and buy a gallon of distilled water for about a buck. It's really up to you.
smile.gif

probably would cost more in energy use to power the cappucino machine long enough to make a gallon of water, than it cost to buy a gallon of distilled water hehe.

Brita filters I think only remove compounds by charcoal filtering so they would not remove dissolved minerals.. Not sure though as I don't have a brita here to see exactly what is doing the filtering.  Again at the cost of the filters.. it's probably cheaper to buy purified water.

At some point though you either become Hercules from lugging water around or your collection gets so big that it just is not feasible to keep buying one gallon jugs.  Then it would be a good idea to look at a small deionizing system or Reverse Osmosis unit.  You may find that again it might not be a whole lot cheaper since there are costs involved with these systems but the convienence is deffinately there.
T

Back