What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National junior horticultural association

Hi,

The National Junior Horticultural Association (NJHA - www.njha.org) was founded in 1934 and was the first organization in the world dedicated solely to youth and horticulture. NJHA programs are designed to help young people obtain a basic understanding of, and develop skills in the ever expanding art and science of horticulture. These programs help the horticultural industry by training and recruiting youth in many specialized fields of horticulture. NJHA also develops citizen appreciation for the understanding of the industry by placing emphasis on positive programs for building producer-consumer understanding.

NJHA has a yearly convention held in the US. During this convention, one can participate in various competitions including: Photography (several categories), horticulture competition (a combination of Judging and Identifying plants given plant specimens and testing of basic horticultural knowledge), speech, extemporaneous speech, demonstration, experimental horticulture, and others (see http://www.njha.org/projects.htm). In preparing and participating in these competitions, one not only gains valuable experience in the field of horticulture, but in doing demonstrations, speeches, photography, etc. (plus there's the cash prizes if you win
biggrin.gif
)

During the convention we also go on field trips. Last year, I attended the convention in St. Louis. We toured the famed St. Louis Botanical Gardens (quite spectacular! ) and the Monsanto Research facility. We also had a little cruise on the Mississippi
smile.gif
. These were awesome opportunities for me, not only because I got to see gardens in a different climate than mine, but because both field trips were plain old worth going to for the educational and life experience!

This year's convention is going to be in Raleigh, NC. If any of you 15 - 22 yr. olds like horticulture, you should come to the convention this fall (Nov. 7-11). You could, for example, do a demo on growing carnivorous plants, submit some cp pictures to the photography competition, and test your general horticultural knowledge at the horticulture competition (in this one you are given plant specimens as obscure as Ivy seeds or Papaya leaves and asked to identify the plant - quite a challenge but lots of fun! )

We will be going on various field trips, including to a winery and the NC botanical gardens, which features a cp display!

If you are interested or have more questions, please contact me (nelhardt@hotmail.com).
Let's see some more cp'ers at Raleigh this fall!

-noah

Thanks for the info, Noah.
smile.gif
I wish I could go. I kinda miss the competition age requirements by a few years though.
tounge.gif

BTW...didn't you win the competion for CA or something? I wanted to hear about that. And wasn't there an article in a newspaper too? Hmmmmm?

Don't be holding back. It would be interesting to hear about it.

Are you entering again this year? If so, good luck!

PAK

hm.......sound like fun, our horticulture club is first in the state =D. Too bad, I'm not in the club -(, I have no free time available.

PAK,

yeah, I do remember something like that happening a while back. Details are fuzzy though...
tounge.gif

DKiM128,

You don't have to be in the horticulture club to go. If you can either find the money on your own, or get a local garden club, buisness, etc. to sponsor you, you can always go freelance
smile.gif
That's what I did last year, and it's what I'm doing again this year! Some of the competitions sound difficult, but I did surprisingly well with only a month of preperation. Having a horticulture background (ie parents grew plants, or you are really interested in them) really helps when it comes to identifying or talking about plants. And it's soo much fun!

cheers,

-noah

Ok Noah....stop holding back.
tounge.gif
I KNOW there's a story there somewhere.
biggrin.gif
Remember...you could be the INSPIRATION for someone else to follow in your footsteps. Not mention talent and hard work deserve accolades and pats on the back.
smile.gif

PAK

i wish i was old enough to be in that club .
tounge.gif

Back