What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help

ok heres my problem, i am currently sending out an envelope for a affordable price for a nepenthes madagascariensis spelling) and its a highland i can see from this website
http://www.plantswithattitude.com/cultivationList.html
plz  
tounge.gif
 does anyone know of a setup that neitehr costs much or takes a lot of work
( i am lazy 15 year old with 500 canadian a month income, last i checked)
thx, lots of suggestions r neededf or best results,
general rules also appreciated, since i can save and refer to later, if seeds are produced often, i am glad to share all of them, if i even grow this plant well
sad.gif

I am growing my madagascarensis in a lowlands setup, and while it does not thrive like those here that treat it better, it does continually get larger, and healthier...

rampuppy
lets forget past differences
can u help me out and desribe ur setup , and how a lazy low budget 15 year ol kid can make one

We are all equal in the eyes of the Shining Mallet.  There are no differences. Hehehe
smile.gif

LOL

If you are planning to grow any Nepenthes, and it is your 1st one, then I would go with an easy lowland, and learn from that, and then go for the highland ones.

The problem with highland nepenthes and lazy 15 yrs old, are that you have to cool them at night...it is not an option, it is a must.

Cooling lazy 15 yr olds will not allow them to purchased plants that are very hard to grow ( ie the N. madagascarienisis ).

As for the cooling of the Highland Nepenthes, if this is not done, the plant will die.

I have tried to grow N. mad ( for short ) and have failed horribly. I have heard that it is a harder plant to grow and there are much more to choose from...the pithers on other plants are a lot nicer than the mad. anyway.

I would recommend the following Neps. to grow for the beginner:

N. ventricosa ( highland, but can take the abuse )
N. mirabilis ( really the easiest or one of them )
N. gracilis ( like a weed, very fast growing )
N. rafflesiana ( awesome pitchers )
N. bicalarata ( cool plant )
N. albomarginata ( nice pitchers )

I am sure that there are more, but those are some of the ones that I can think of off the top of my head...

my room in the summer can drop considerrably about 5 farenheit an hour, or moer if ac is sent JUST to my room, in winter i can open window or somethin,,, cuz its pretty cold in winter around here,,,, wut u think,,,,,

What differences RAW?
smile.gif
The Mallet only peeks out when people mis behave, and I don't see that here!
smile.gif

Ok, forst off, I am not going to describe my conditions as I have done it about a hundred times... and second, because I wasn't aware this was your first nepenthes...

I would be adamantly against you getting a madigascarensis as your first plant, you DEFINATELY need to start with something easier, some of the really tough suckers, and they are all lowlands...

Heck, I have a ventricosa that I forgot to water for about a month, most of it died, but It is coming back strong and powerful. So I am a big fan of that plant as far as it being sturdy, and it really has some elegantly simple pitchers that are very nice to look at.

My suggestion is to follow Jeffs Suggestions... and there are plenty of topics on terrariums for you to look at that will give you a healthy education on what you can and shouldn't grow.

N.Madagascariensis in my expierence is a very tough palnt to get to grow. Mine is a cutting and has now wilted on me
sad.gif
I am a bit mad as it was doign farily well but I'll just buy another one from someone. Darn thing, it might come back though. I just upped humdity and watering so it may come back. Also I found that this plant temperamental background is a mystery from what I have researched about it. I personally would either go for Intermediate conditions to semi-Highland conditions, but if some people say it is a good lowland grower then you may want to try that too. So even though it is a highland as recorded on some websites I have heard lots of people grow it as an intermediate so that's what I would go with personally. It is a nice plant and very nice red bulbous pitchers if you get it to grow.
smile.gif
I am not yet done with this Nepenthes, it is still a mystery to me personally, and I have yet to crack at what it's temperamental background is. Good luck.

Back