What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inorganic soils

Okay, I finally get some plasic pots (after looking for weeks) and now I can't find silica sand. Were the heck can you find the stuff? Also, since I live in MI uncleaned sand is, well my dirt, has anyone had success with getting natural sand and cleaning it? The ants around here sort it out for building mounds so I can steal theirs come spring. Or I could stop by a shore line and steal some... or I could try and find a deposit around my house, but it spooks me a bit you know? I only need a cup or two for my pygme sundew, I'd like more to experiment with, but I don't want 50lbs. Any ideas? Also, what element is Vermiculite? It's a mineral so it should just be one rite? Thanks

-Darcie
P.S. What do you guys do with extra seedling plants? I have over a dozen Alicia dews that are big, buff and tuff.

Darcie,
I can't help you with the sand thing, but as for the extra seedlings, post 'em in the trade forum (if you're of the mind). There's lots of newbies around that would love to s.a.s.e you, I'm sure, and also you might just get a good trade!

how can you even ship a thing like that?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ Feb. 27 2003,4:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">how can you even ship a thing like that?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I believe you can wrap the roots with some damp LFS, wrap them in plastic or put them in a bag or both, toss it in a bubble mailer and you're off to the post office!
biggrin.gif

Vertigo has the basic idea. Most of the seedlings we beginners have are from pretty tough plants (D. Capensis, D. Spatulata, D. Aliciae, stuff like that). They recover from being mailed quite well (well, CChang, Mfaris and a few other will have to vouch for that one for me
wink.gif
)
One inventive way someone sent me a seedling was in a film case! I usually cut off the bottom of a platic cup or small soda bottle (washed, of course), so that is about 1 cm deep (depending on how tall the seedling), put in some soaking we LFS, and then put in the seedling. I wrap the whole sucker up tight in cling wrap, toss in bubble envelope and ship away.

Vermiculite is the mineralogical name given to hydrated magnesium-aluminum-ironsilicate which resembles mica in appearance. Heres a link that tells a little more about it and shows pics of vermiculite before and after it's exfoliated.

Tamil Nadu Minerals website

It resembles mica because it is mica hehe

On a side note.. use caution with vermiculite because it contains minute amounts of asbestos fibers.
Tony

2 sources for silica sand are 1) Construction supply companies. Ask for sand used for sandblasting 2)swimming supply companies have a coarse grade of silica sand used in pool filters. You have to buy it by the sack though.

I do not advise you to use any sand other than pure white silica sand. Ant hill sand will not do, nor beach or river sand. With CP, a very little bit of mineral goes a long way towards screwing things up bigtime. If it isn't white, it isn't right (and sometimes not even then). Go with the pool filter product.

Sundews ship very well encased in a wad of moist lfs in a baggie and with protection against crushing, like a box with some padding to keep things from rattling around.

really? Them itty bitty 1cm things can take that? Wow, well, I guess once it gets warmer I'll have lots to give out (assuming I no one local wants them)

Any good hardware store should carry silica sand, they sell it for use in communal ashtrays.
I got a 100 pound bag for 8 bucks from my local hardware store.

biggrin.gif

Back