What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I just got a ceph and a couple of other cp's. However there is a moss growing in the pots, it does not look like my sphagnum moss that I have growing. So I emailed the person who sold me the plants and he said

" I am in (city removed) where 'moss grows between toes and salmon swims on the streets',
it must be a type of moss ,however,I had collection about 30 species of
utrics. They spread everywhere. I have 'rainbows' of flowers in many pots. I
lost 'purity' of species and most pots I had to throw out. In the Spring you
may have flowers of U. bisquamata, flavida, dichitoma, livida .... who cares.
I simple gave up with them. They are weeds. "

I was wondering what you all thought as I know the Savage Garden says green moss can be lethal to cp's. I really don't know about moss but do you think its safe? or should I try to shave it off some how?

The other point is that the ceph looks great, it even has two growth points also the pings he sent me look fabulous, but thought I would ask better safe then sorry.

CEPH2.jpg

its spaghum but its just very young at the moment , i have tons of that stuff growing and beggining to grow in many of my cps , its safe and its not green moss .

Their was another light green really fine fluffy moss. It was mostly with the pings,they were sent bare root except for a tinny bit of medium (so easy to remove and toss out). However when I saw those weird seed stalks? I guess I got paranoid, but better safe then sorry.

Never seen moss send up stalks like those. They look more like the flower stalk of a Utricualria or something.

The moss does not look like sphagnum to me, it looks like a carpet moss and this can choke the plant. Be wary. The seed pods are those of U. subulata, and this is indeed a weed that can spread throughout your collection.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Oct. 11 2003,10:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The moss does not look like sphagnum to me, it looks like a carpet moss and this can choke the plant. Be wary.  The seed pods are those of U. subulata, and this is indeed a weed that can spread throughout your collection.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I compared the moss to sphagnum which is just starting to grow out of the peat in another tank of mine. I hope the following analogy makes sense, but the young sphagnum tips look like little pine trees where as the moss on the Ceph looks like astro turf.

Tamlin do you think I can safely remove the moss with out hurting the Ceph? Its my first one and I am kind of nervous to be poking around it.

You can try to revove it, but I can tell you from experience it WILL return unless you go bare root, and even then.....? I would just use a tool to pry it away from around the plant. Ceph roots are very brittle, so don't go too deep, just "hoe" around the base near the surface and scrape it away. Repeat as needed when it returns. This is a very frustrating type of moss!

Back