What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi everyone,

I registered with this forum some time ago, and browse here from time-to-time, and thought it was about time for me
to "de-lurk" and join in the fun!

My name is Adam, and I'm currently living in West Wales (Ceredigion is the county), in the UK. I've been interested
in Carnivorous Plants for quite some time, since the mid- to late-1980's, on and off. I love all CPs, but my
favourites are definitely the Sundews (Drosera), followed by Butterworts (Pinguicula) and Bladderworts
(Utricularia) in probably joint second place, followed by Sarracenia & Nepenthes in joint 3rd, followed by the rest!

I'm also interested in all other plants, but especially Orchids (esp. hardy and half-hardy ones, e.g. Dactylorhiza,
Cypripedium, Ophrys, but also the "tropicals", in particular Slipper Orchids), Aroids (Arum lilies and relatives),
and to a slightly lesser extent Fuchsias, and Ferns. Also Cacti & Succulents.

I've finally set up my greenhouse now, complete with bubble-wrap (and hopefully a propane gas heater before the end of the
month), so can hopefully look forward to gradually ( or quickly! ) expanding my collection. I'm hoping to concentrate
on the Drosera though.

As for carnivorous plant societies, I'm currently a member of the UK CPS, the International CPS and the Australian
CPS, all of which I can highly recommend. My current fav CP book is "Carnivorous Plants of New Zealand" by Bruce
Salmon: absolutely fantastic!

My next CP-related project (prob. sometime in the New Year) will be to set up a suitable terrarium for the
"woollies"!! (Drosera petiolaris complex). Does anyone here grow these plants, or can point me in the direction of
a guide to setting up such a terrarium? I hoping to start some from seed. Thx.

Anyway, I hope to be able to contribute to this forum from time-to-time, and perhaps even exchange
plants/seeds/gemmae in future!

Kind regards,

Adam.  
smile.gif

P.S. Just though I'd get this quick "wanted" info in, if that's OK!: does anyone know where I can get Drosera
prolifera and/or D. schizandra in the UK - plants or seeds? (I already have the ubiquitous D. adelae). Thanks.

P.P.S. I'm also planning to frequent the UK CP forum, at:
http://www.cpukforum.co.uk
(where I've posted this message aswell). See you in both forums?!

P.P.P.S. In light of the terrible tradgedy in Bali, I send my heartfelt condolences to everyone there and in Indonesia: never lose hope for a better, more peaceful world.

Well well. Welcome to the forums! You seem to know a lot of information.... We hope that you enlighten us all, and maybe ask a few questions yourself!
wink.gif

I'm sure you'll find everything yer looking for!!!
biggrin.gif

Welcome into the fold
biggrin.gif
! Hope you have as much fun here as I do.
biggrin.gif

So happy to have you with us Adam! It's a great group of people here from many different places. Sounds like you have much information to give and hopefully we'll have much to give you in return. Glad to see you on board here at Petflytrap/Exotic Gardens
smile.gif

HELLO IM FROM WALES TOO about time im not alone  
biggrin.gif

im about 9 miles form cardiff liveing in caerphilly.
biggrin.gif

well, with you focusing on drosera, and mike king focusing on sars, we just need a few more people to round out the huge collections across the pond eh?
smile.gif

Welcome!

Hello Adam and welcome to the forums!
biggrin.gif

What a wonderful introduction. I enjoyed reading your post. I think Wales is a beautiful country. I would love to visit Scotland, Ireland and Wales some day. I think somewhere back in my genes lurks a little DNA from those countries even though as of the 1500s my ancestors were in England.
smile.gif

I am a drosera lover myself. So its nice to see another 'dew fan on board. If you ever have any sundew questions, the man to talk to is Tamlin.
smile.gif
He can pretty much answer any question and there are lots of others too that can help you there. Just check out the sundew forum.

I grow orchids as well, as do a number of the members here. There is a forum for orchid fans too.

There are members here from all over the world, so glad to have you join us.

Happy growing!
Suzanne

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for your kind words of welcome!  
biggrin.gif

I hope I can contribute and help others, and will no doubt need info myself. I'm looking forward to being part of the PFT community.  
smile.gif

Parasuco: I know a reasonable amount of info, but I'm far from an expert, and have a fair way to go before I am ( if ever!! ), but we're always learning. I'd be glad to help out.
smile.gif

BCK: Thanks, I'm sure I'll have fun here, everyone seems so friendly!  
biggrin.gif

G1: Thanks! I'll do my best!

Coma: Shwmae! Sut rydych chi? Good to see another taffy here! Hwyl....

RP: Well, I'm working on a "huge collection": it's more smallish to medium at the moment though ( hopefully soon to change! ).  
smile.gif

Suzanne: Hi, thanks for the welcome. Yes, Wales is beautiful (IMHO), but so are many parts of the world: I'd love to visit the USA too some day. But I'd definately recommend any visitors to the UK to check out Wales & Scotland as well as England.
As for dews, I've always thought they are so beautiful, like living jewels, and so varied too, which is why I like them so much! ( But I like all other CPs as well, before I get too much flak from the Pinguiculaphiles etc! ). I'll be sure to check out the sundew and orchid forums in due course.

And Hi to everyone else as well! See ya around...  
biggrin.gif

Hey,

It sounds like you can contribute greatly.

WELCOME ! !
smile.gif

Welcome Adam! Here we have obviously a person of discernment and taste as evidenced by his Numero Uno CP favorite, the bedazzeling, bedewed, beautiful sundew in all it's splendor and majesty.....I like 'em too! I look forward to your posts at the Sundew Forum!

I have some ideas about the petolaris complex terrarium, they are fantastic plants!

I do not know of a UK source for the other Queensland Drosera you are looking for, but I will put some tentacles out and see what sticks.

Good to have you aboard!

Tamlin

Hi Goldslinger,

Thanks for the welcome  
smile.gif

Hi Tamlin,

Yep, I'll be spending much of my time at the dew forum! We droseraholics should stick together
biggrin.gif
. I do have quite a soft spot for Pings and Utrics as well though ( and the rest! ). But for me, sundews rock!

I'm still investigating setups for the "woollies", there's some good info in a thread started by PinguiculaMan, re: D.falconeri, both here and at the CP UK forum. I'm going to plan this one well in advance, for early next year.

Re: your kind offer of help for D.prolifera & D.schizandra:
Luckily, I've been able to locate one of the Queenslanders already (D.prolifera) via a very kind member of the UK forum, it's just Schizandra left now! I'd actually like to source some seed of D.adelae as well sometime, so I can raise plants and reproduce them via seed (most plants of the species currently in cultivation seem to be the same clone, prob. via tissue culture).

Anyway, speak to you all soon!  
biggrin.gif

Adam.

Hi Adam,
Nice to see you here too, I looked on the map and you are about 2 hours a drive away from here. There are a few guys in the UK who offer the Queensland Drosera you are looking for. I picked up a Schizandra from him. I will get his email address for you.

Adam

Mike obtained his D. schizandra from the same person as you obtained your D. prolifera from. Me. I should have a spare schizandra in the Spring. Mike don't send him my email, he's got it.

Cheers
Vic

Hi Mike, Hi Vic,

Yes, it's thanks to Vic that I now have D.prolifera! Nice plants too (arrived today). Thanks Vic also for the offer of a D.schizandra in the spring. (You did mention that possibility in one of your earlier emails). Please don't think I'm in a rush to get it though, LOL !  
biggrin.gif
 I'm quite content with the prolifera for now, I want to make sure that gets established and starts multiplying first.

Mike, yes I'm not too far from you really (you're in Shropshire, right?) - I hope to attend your open day next year. (Shame I can't make the CPS Wisley meeting this year - I don't mind the 500 mile round trip, I'm just a bit busy this weekend - next year though hopefully will be different).

Anyway, it's good to see you guys here as well.

Adam.  
smile.gif

Back