What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New non cp addition to our household

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Well, my wife has wanted a dog for awhile now. I have always said no as I am really not a dog person. I grew up with several dogs and it was ok, but I was not the main caretaker of the dogs. Today we adopted a dog from our local shelter. We are expecting to be able to pick her up on Saturday. Yes, our bog trip day. I am still on for the trip as I will be picking her up at 10AM and bringing her home.

Anyway, she is an untrained, non house broken 6 month old greyhound mix. I got along with her well and she doesn't seem to mind cats much but likes to bark at them. I hope she will work out.

Anyway, this will be the first dog in our household. If you want to see a photo of her, you can do so here.

Thanks for reading this.

Looks like the wife won uh? Somehow they always do.
Congratulations on the addition to your famliy.

She's cute!  Congratulations Nick
biggrin.gif
.  She looks like she has personality and a mellow disposition.

She was named Appolonia at the shelter. We are calling here Apple.

dog1.jpg

She is a bit camera shy.

You can't deny there isn't greyhound in there. Look at those ears! She's a cutie!

Good luck with your new family member!!!

Chris

Nick,

Congrats! I'm a dog person, myself. And, coincidentally, I have two greyhounds, Bongo and Otis:

Bongo%20Otis%201sm.jpg

They are both retired racers, and are about the best dogs imaginable. I'm sure yours will be wonderful.

Capslock

Congratulations Nick!!

When we got our pooch Gypsy (a "Save-A-Sato" from Puerto Rico) we enrolled in puppy class, then followed that with basic family obedience. It helped tremendously and we learned things like which foods include paper pulp filler, proper nail trimming, etc. She is an adorable high energy Dalmatian/English Pointer/Italian Greyhound mix. One of her REALLY bad habits (that she thinks is the greatest fun in the world) is to grab my CP pots - plants and all - and run around the yard then throw them up into the air and start anew. I almost lost 10 pitcher plants one day and did lose a Cobra Lily. Now, the area is gated off - but she still tries to squeeze her head through and grab plants. I hope she doesn't get into digging anytime soon. On a good note, she races like the wind after squirrels, Blue Jays, and Robins.

Another tip - if your new addition likes to grab things or chew (= destroy) you can get stuff called "Bitter Apple" that you spritz on things. Most dogs hate the taste. We used to have a 100 pound purebred Dalmatian that ate markers, $$ watercolor paint brushes, charcoal brickqettes, stuffed animals, wooden cooking utensils - you name it. Bitter Apple was the only stuff that worked.

Best of luck. And keep an eye on your CPs.

WildBill
wink.gif

Here is Gypsy's picture when we first got her. Now she is a year old and is about 20lbs.

Gypsy.jpg

WildBill

What cute, cute dogs!  Do those greyhounds really know how to work those remotes?  
wink.gif
  I want a dog again!  Please, honey, please?  It will keep the squirrels away.  And we can teach it not to play catch with the plants.  And I'll feed it & take it for walks & clean up after it, I promise.
OK?
rolleyes.gif

That's a beautiful dog, Copper.

Does it love to jump & leap? Gypsy does (she also points) and I was wondering if it's a pointer trait. When you are winding up about to throw a toy, she sometimes jumps 5 feet high straight up and grabs it from behind!

WildBill

Yes, he literally bounces. He will nab birds out of the air. He can clear a six foot jump. He is unusaully large for his breed, German Short Hair, at approximately 100 pounds, but it is not unheard of for the male. He is a great dog until he feels his puppy then I have to go outside and clean up the destruction. Ah, but he is loyal and mets me late a night when I come home for break.

He is a pointer and I think the jumping must be fairly typical.

He is also very vocal and trying to get my attention now.

Back