What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum peat moss from lowes

I just bought a bag of this from Lowes. Its the Pursell's STA-GREEN brand. On the package it mentions "An organic additive to help improve soil texture" Is this additive going to be a problem? Anybody use this stuff successfully? I'm afraid to use it.
confused.gif

The additive is the peat moss itself
smile.gif
. It's perfectly safe to use. I use it myself. If ever in doubt, check the package all over to make sure it doesn't say there is added fertilizer, or any other unnatural chemicals.

Yup the additive is the peat itself.
smile.gif
Just don't buy the Miracle grow brand peat moss! It has added stuff to it.

wait! Don't use it yet! make sure it says "Spagnum peat moss", not just "peat moss!"
wow.gif
it would kill your plants if it is

Well, if it says 'Canadian, New Zealand or Irish Peat Moss' then it should be ok. They rarely put sphagnum on the label
sad.gif

But if Nathaniel has used that particular brand, then go for it
smile.gif

I use it all the time, & I use thier sphagnum moss too, but ya make sure it is sphagnum not thier decorative green moss.

Cole

Thanks guys! It does say Sphagnum Peat Moss
smile.gif

Doesn't look or smell as good as the Scultz brand, but if it works, who am I to complain
wink.gif

oh yea, if you need a cheap source of sphagnum peat moss, buy it from Home Depot. They sell it in 8.8 dry quarts for about $3.50. Its a good deal. For some reason, it lasts alot
wink.gif

<its called Scotts Sphagnum Peat Moss>

chephalotus88,
did you go to the BACPS metting? I looked everywhere for you at the meeting.
confused.gif

I used to use Scotts, then switched to Schultz (advice from Jaie), and now this Sta-Green kind. The Sta-Green is the cheapest, $2.68 a bag, I'm just unsure of the quality. Guess I'll find out soon
wink.gif

Back