What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transplanting and other questions

Hi All, I am fairly new at keeping cp's. So far I have five plants: a Venus, a cobra, a pitcher plant, and two sundews. I bought them in April from my local nursery. I took them out of the plastic bags, put the pots in a miniature greenhouse that's sitting in a south facing window (no direct sunlight), and water them from the bottom with distilled water. So far so good. Some even seem to be growing. But how do I keep them alive?! Do they need transplanting from their little pots or should I just keep hands off? I really love these plants and want to get some more, but in the past I've killed more than I care to admit. Any wisdom would be much appreciated. Oh, and I love in So. Calif. so I know humidity is an issue, so that's why they are in the greenhouse -- I think it helps keep the humidity up a little, though it's not "air tight".
Thanks for your response. CPWitch

Let's see....the only ones you have that low humidty might affect are the sundews and this would depend on what type of sundews you have.  Many dews have a difficult time keeping their dew if the humidity is low (<35%), the other plants can be adapted to low humidity gradually and will do fine outside. The Cobra and the Sarracenia in particular are likely to grow to tall to fit in the terrarium.  I am assuming that your pitcher plant is a Sarracenia and not a Nepenthes (also called a Tropical pitcher plant).  The Venus Flytrap, Cobra, and Sarracenia (pitcher plant) will need dormancy either this winter or next winter at the latest.  So I would leave these three in their pots for that reason. Transplanting of these last three is usually best done just before they wake up from dormancy in the early spring.  The best indication that these plants need moved to larger pots is that the roots will grow out the drainage holes, Otherwise they are fine in their present pots.

edit @ 11:O8, June 13 2003
You don't need to take your plants out of the terrarium unless they out grow it this year.

Back