What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungicide!?!

W

Warped54321

Ok, I'm having a little bit of a problem, I have a fungus gnat problem, and somebody told me to use fungicides instead of pestisides...I've never used fungisides before on carnivorous plants, so I don't know if theirs a special kind I have to use, how to use it, etc. Please help!
-Warped
cool.gif

Warped,
Not sure why they recommended a fungicide unless they figured that getting rid of the fungus would get rid of the fungus gnats. I am not sure that is the way it would work as several people have posted that fungus gnat larva have damaged their plants by eating on the roots. I would use a pesticide or put some Pings or dews in with your plants (if you don't have some already
biggrin.gif
) to catch the adult gnats.

My 2¢ anyhow.
wow.gif

Ok...then how do I use pesticide, and is there a certain type I need?

I do have a few D.spathulata but their to small to do anything (most of them were destroyed.) and a couple D. Capensis (same situation as the spathulata (or however you spell it))

Thanx-warped

<span style='color:navy'>Warped,
I haven't used any pesticides on my CPs yet (no pest problems yet, knck on wood) so I can't recommend any pesticides based on my experience.  It seems to me that orthene or orthenex (not sure which it was) was recommended.  If no one else offers a suggestion then you might try a pesticide that is safe for orchids.  It is my understanding that if it is ok for orchids, it might be OK for CPs.  I'd test it on a spare plant though, just in case.  Hopefully someone who has had gnat problems can recommend a pesticide.</span>

wow.gif

We recommend Cleary 3336WP. you can get it from the pft website under "plant accessories". Ignore the "banrot" label in image on on the link... phil incorrectly linked the jpgs...

Michael

mmcgee@petflytrap.com

Back