What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C02 injection system

i was looking in the pft gallery and i saw that in the first gallery in the 7 th picture http://www.petflytrap.com/gallery/egpics.html , there are c02 injectors and it says that it makes the plants grow better and healthier . well i have this idea with my co2 generator that i used for my aldrovanda . the one where you get a 1 gallon container , add in yeast and sugar , and water and all this other material and it creates carbon dioxide . do you think this will work and actually make the plants gorw better and does using the aldrovanda carbon dioxide generator the same method as the co2 injector that pft has ?

i don't know if co2 injectors help much. remember that plants need oxygen too. in a sealed container, one of these can put the co2 to o2 ratio to a undesireable level. anywho, i don't recommend it, but the health of pfts plants in their pics makes me think... Zongyi
tounge.gif

Carbon dioxyde concentration does a lot to plants growth, but in the case of carnivorous plants, I don't know. I think I've read somewhere that CP has a limitant factor which don't give the CO2 his 'plain' power on these plants. Nutrients? I don't know... I'll try to find this back.

One thing is sure, CO2 really improve plants growth in optimal condition (a lot of light... good T°...), even a slight difference of it (such as a breathing person) in a room make a difference in the growth of plant.

I made one once for aquarium plants, with the same equipement you listed, and the plants reacted very fast to it... The results? An healthy aquarium filled with nice green plants
smile.gif

Nepenthes Gracilis told me to blow into the bag my n. bicalcarata was in for (partly) for the co2.

I got an idea... Dry ice is made up of CO2. If CO2 helps CP growth then could i get some dry ice and melt it in a cooler then pour the CO2 onto the plant? Or put the dry ice in a liter bottle and lead a hose under the pot to pump in the CO2 fumes?

hmmm, i never thought of it as it will make any difference. Zongyi

I use it in my highland grow chamber and love it! They grow so much faster with it. My N. rajah I had for about 8 months and it grow very little in size(but made lots of new leaves) I have had it with the CO2 for the last 6 months it was 3 5/8 when I started now it is 10 3/4 inch!!!
-Jeremiah-

cool jeremiah , i guess i'll try but did the plant make only leave or did it make pitchers as well and were the pitcher improved by color , size or anything ?

Maybe someone should try a controlled experiment with CO2.

I made a very primative co2 system a couple of years ago. I put baking soda in a bowl, then I put vinegar in a bottle. I put a paper towel in the bottle, so that one end of the paper towel was in the vinegar and the other end hangs over the side of the bottle. I placed the bottle in the bowl of baking soda. The paper towel absorbed the vinegar and it would drip on the baking soda. Causing a chemical reation that created co2.

I now use a more nature co2 system, 3 lizards in my grow room.

CO2 is commonly used for aquatic plants with fantastic results. It is also used in comercial plant production. Go to any Hydro shop for more info on this... LOL!!!

I found that my aldrovanda grew fantasicly with CO2 but only after I increased the rate of trace element feed. It is most usefull when plants are grown in close proximity with little fesh air as the plants can strip the available CO2 quite quickly. Something as simple as burning a candle can make a fair difference in a large area. I have been told number of comercial plant growers heat hot houses with gas burners letting some of the CO2 into the hothouse for the plants.

Food for thought
George

I am not using Co2 right now simply because I am out, but my tank has always done better with it. Plants, as far as I know (this is definately true of aquatic plants, not sure terrestrials) respirate c02 and oxygen out during the day, and at night it is exactly the opposite, though, not neccissarily at the same rate.

When I do inject C02, I do so two hours after the lights go on, to two hours before it goes off... light is a big player in how much a plant can handle... so when the lights are out, it's pointless, even detrimental. Oh, and I have a big 20 gallon tank designed to dissolve calcium for a saltwater system... I would say that using the poor mans CO2 injector system (which is designed for aquatic plants) in this situation would just make your room smell bad, also, that reaction is highly unstable, and you may end up making your entire tank go anoxic and killing off all the good micro-organisms in your tank... I say no to that.... to risky... if you can do it with a real system, that's one thing, anything else and your asking for trouble.

Back