What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genetic Trait

• Thread starter eplants02
  • Start date
Hi,
Are there any genetic traits for CP? If so, what? Thanks to all who responded.
smile.gif

If you are asking about genetic studies within carnivorous plant genera then yes, these studies have been done. Looking for specific genes using l-ribosomal DNA markers have allowed for a kind of "genetic taxonomy". One of the latest efforts was recently published in the Americal Journal of Botany by Fernando Rivadavia regarding Drosera phylogeny. I am still feeling my way with my understanding of the process and still have many questions and doubts regarding the process, but it is an interesting way to approach cp phylogeny.

I also just read a study that shows Darlingtonia may be better placed in it's own Family using similar genetic evaluation.

Similar studies have shown Dionaea and Aldrovanda to be very closely related.

On a more observational level there are certain characteristics held in common by species within a given genus, and these are classified into different sections within the genus. For example, in Drosera the section Oosperma is composed of members of the genus that all possess round seeds. Various other sections have members also united by a different set common characteristics.

Phylogeny tries to chart the plants evolutionary history through a series of increasingly restrictive definitions based on the presence or absence of a certain quality, or "trait"

Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species

Once determinations reach the species level, phylogeny becomes almost mystical, and greatly a matter of experience and opinion!

Thxs Tamlin. Are there genetic traits within the Venus flytrap then?

Back