What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

terra forums

• Thread starter Jmenprkr
  • Start date
where did it come from?
rock.gif
blues.gif
any answers from the admin will be greatly apreciated
unclesam.gif
tounge.gif
ghostface.gif

Hi Jaime in Parker!
First off, here is a quote from one of your other topics, a reply posted by me:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Here's some general advice: When posting to such a large amount of people, you should try and greet first, at least use complete sentences, proper manners, less abrupt questions, etc.

Sorry if I made you feel bad or anything, I'm just trying to help you...

This is pretty much how all of your posts are, with too many abbreviations, and no punctuation.

But, to answer your question, I am 75% sure it is because the prefix Terra means:
Having to do with Nature or other natural Earth elements, and that is what these forums are, forums having to do with Nature!
biggrin.gif

I hope this helps!!
Caio!
Lithopsman
blues.gif
unclesam.gif

Basically, you are looking at a name change for the forums as well as a new direction for the forums. Over time, you will see these changes take shape.

I think that terra means terrarium or something in the name, but I believe he means , "why doesn't it just have petflytrap discussion forums as the name, why the new website kind of thing?" (if you feel like it, you can just go to terraforums.com. Well, actually that is only what I want to know.

It was mentioned a while back that the forums would be "spun off", so to speak, as an independent site, and supported with advertising 'sponsorship'.  

Yup, i see that Tony is a sponsor now.  Good for Tony.  
smile.gif

And good for Phil and the Petflytrap crew for making it what it is and continuing to sponsor it!!!

Hey All,

Yes... terra - meaning in Latin, earth, land. Forums... umm... doh.

So forums with 'terra topics'
smile.gif

We thought it sounded kinda cool... revolved around earthy subjects, plants, etc...

That's it!

And yes, it's being separated from petflytrap to open it to more types of discussions and commercial companies posting their goods.

I think its an awsome name.
It plays off the word Terraform.
ter·ra·form ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tr-fôrm)
tr.v. ter·ra·formed, ter·ra·form·ing, ter·ra·forms
To transform (a landscape) on another planet into one having the characteristics of landscapes on Earth.

Which is pretty much what we do, we transform places (terrariums/greenhouses) into having the characteristics of the plants native habitat. Maybe not a different planet, but the idea is the same.

Casper

ok thanks phil i was just wondering

o i see that youve got the link thing i told you about figured (LOL)
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back