What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where did this peat come from???

Okay, so i noticed the other day that there is a tiny VFT growing in my U. longifolia pot.  Here's the pic:

20031029-CP-U.longifolia,%20volunteer%20D.muscipula-disease.jpg

See him?  In the lower left corner... (yeah, yeah, i know the longifolia has problems)

I thought "That's odd!  Wherever did that little guy come from?"
huh.gif

So a couple days later i'm checking out my U. dichotoma pot...

20031105-CP-Where's%20the%20VFT-U.dichotoma%20pot%20infested%20with%20volunteer%20D.muscipula,Drosera,%20maybe%20sarracenia.jpg

blink.gif

And there are at least TWO VFTs growing in it, as well as a tiny drosera (one trap) and somethings that almost look like baby sarr pitchers.  Okay, so the sarrs may just be my imagination, but how cool would that be to have three different carnivorous genera volunteer in a U. dichotoma pot?  
biggrin.gif

wow.gif
thumbsup.gif

Strange.  People are always saying that their utrics are invading other pots.  My plants are confused... they're going backwards!

Makes me a bit dubious about the source of the peat.  
sad.gif

Anybody else ever have vfts volunteer?

Edit:

For anybody having trouble spotting them (i am, sorry about the pic), i circled them here:

20031105-CP-Where's%20the%20VFT-U.dichotoma%20pot%20infested%20with%20volunteer%20D.muscipula,Drosera,%20maybe%20sarracenia%20(Circled).jpg

what kind of peat did you use? I want some...LOL
biggrin.gif

what i'm guessing is that your peat was probably mined where in the carolinas where the plants grow and they mines peat which included the seeds of the plants . so probably you'll find lots more . other wise , your plants probably had those seeds in them when you got them and they fianlly sprouted .

Yeah, well, that was what i was alluding to. I find it hard to believe they would mine it in a way that fresh VFT seeds could end up in it, though.

Most of the peat i buy is Canadian. That must be an unknown, cold-hardy form of VFT.
rock.gif
laugh.gif

Back