What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Re-potting Tips?

• Thread starter Neo
  • Start date
Hi. I'm new to this board. My petfly trap, "Jaba", just ate his first fly!  I am so excited.  I was surprised how quickly the mouth closed around it.

Anyway,  I was thinking of re-potting Jaba. Does anyone have any step by step tips they could share?  

Thank you.

Hey, I like the name of your plant! Anyway, the first thing you should do is read the FAQ. This will answer most of your questions.

Second, VFTs don't require a large pot at all. If you just purchased it, chances are it doesn't need repotting. I use pure LFS for my VFTs and they are growing well. This is not to say that other people's mixtures involving peat, sand, perlite etc. don't work well too.

So, tell us about yourself. Where do you live? How long have you been growing CPs?

SF
smile.gif

Thanks for the info. I realize now that all the information is right on my instruction sheet. I guess I was thinking there might be something more.

I am from Newport News, Virginia. If you've heard of Virginia Beach, I am about 20 minutes from there. I am a systems manager. I have had my CP now for about a month. Jaba is my name for him. He sits on the window sill in my office.

I noticed that after he ate the fly that that particular leaf is still closed. I thought it might open up by now. I am not a green thumb by any stretch of the imagination, but I have always wanted to spruce up my office with greenery. Jaba is a great asset and conversation piece.

Hi Neo! Mind me if I repeat because I do not read others post. If I do that then I am always "Well, they did a grand of a job taking care of it. Why should I make a post?"

I would wait till winter/spring to transplant and when you do try to leave a little dirt ball around the vft (it does not work all the time). The little dirt ball around the balb of the vft keeps the roots together and puts the vft less through shock. Transplanting is not my favorite thing to do so I always wait until it is necessary.

Travis

Just a warning, the information sheets *sometimes* give incorrect information. Make sure it gets distilled water, as tap water has too many minerals. Also, make sure that the meals you feed your VFT are 1/3 the size of the trap or less. Any bigger and you risk the rotting of that trap.

It takes several days to two weeks for the VFT to complete digestion. Also, when the trap turns "inside out" it is exhausted and cannot eat any more. That leaf is still capable of photosynthesis, just not eating bugs.

SF

Hi and welcome to the forums Neo! I also love the name you gave your VFT. It's very funny!!
biggrin.gif

Yep, I second what Travis said about waiting to repot until late winter. It helps reduce the stress on the plant to do it early in its growing season. I used to use a sphagnum peat and silica sand mix but they never worked well for me. So now I use pure long fiber sphagnum (LFS) and it works very well.

-buckeye

Back