What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any1 good with computers?

I wanted to set up a couple tank monitored on my computer. Such as humidity and temperature. If the humidity gets too low I want to set it up to mist and start the hummidifers. Timers for the lights can be bought easily but also I would like to manage it on my computer.

I remembered someone wanting to do it on the dart frog forums, but I never figured out if they figured a way out. So if anyone knows how to set this up, that would be fantastic =D.

Wow, that's way too advaced for me.
If you find a way to do this post it here, I would be interested in trying it too.

It is not a simple as it sounds.  You believe would have to get a program dedicated to these task.  I am sure there would be some for the professional level, but probably very costly.

I think you would be better of getting eq already made for this purpose.

lol, yea I thought this was a little too complex for me too. Wouldn't it be cool though, to have about 20 tanks monitored onto your computer. Even have a thing where the doors slides open so a couple fruitflies can be dropped =D. How cool would that be, all you have to do is set up the cultures of fruit flies, and off you go everything is taken care of.

One day, this will happen, gotta think optimistic =D.

Ah yes, the holy grail of computer geeks who are also CP and aquarium geeks...

I have long term plans to make some sensors with thermistors and use an A/D converter to interface with my computer.  Alternatively, you can buy a 'weather station' at radioshack for a couple hundred bucks that lets you use quite a few wireless sensors for temperature and stuff, and interfaces with your computer.

If you're just trying to control things, X-10 is pretty useful protocol.  Radioshack sells modules (called 'Plug and Power') for it.  I use HAL2000 (automatedliving.com).  It has issues, but i got it awhile back.  You can get some free programs that will probably work just as well, but you'll still need to get a computer interface.  I can tell you more about it if you want.
smile.gif

Some of my lighting goes on and off at sunrise and sunset, courtesy of HAL and X-10 modules.

PS Don't confuse the X-10 signaling protocol with the company, X10, that has all those obnoxious pop-up ads and such. X10 is best avoided as they are of inferior quality (and obnoxious). There are about three other brands of X-10 manufacturers out there.

wow, I lost you after you said aquarium geek, nothing else made sense after that =D.

LOL  Well, it's what comes from growing up with a neurophysiologist grandfather who makes his own lab equipment.
biggrin.gif
 I just wish he'd passed on the genes.
wink.gif

A thermister is a component that resists the flow of electrical current (like a conventional resistor), but the amount of resistance is directly proportional to the temperature.  By putting a fixed voltage across it, and measuring the current, you can calculate the temperature.  In order to feed this into a computer, it has to be changed from an analog signal (the current that flows through the thermistor can be almost any value) to a digital signal (with discrete, separate values).  That's what an a/d (analog to digital) converter does.

X10 is pretty cool.  It's not very useful for a single room apartment, but combined with the software (HALdeluxe) it does keep my plants on a photoperiod consistent with the seasons, and used to be my answering machine and alarm clock.  I can turn off lights from anywhere in the world (oh boy
tounge.gif
).  It has a much greater potential than that, i just haven't programmed in any fancier rules.

DM, I hate to tell you this, but I think he did pass on his genes to you. Your just too busy tinkering to notice
laugh.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Back