What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1) You can kill Sarrs by lack of light.

2) Putting plants outside to grow helps tremendously.  Coloration, pitcher size and overall plant health has jumped huge amounts!  And, the plants did NOT burn, as was my expectation.

3) D. Burmannii hates to be transplanted, or to have conditions changed.  

4) D. Burmannii can be reproduced through leaf cuttings (not recommended)

5) Drosera love light! (This may not be a revelation to most of you, but my Drosera are turning beautiful colors in natural sunlight.

6) Winter is coming..... Light levels are decreasing rapidly... AAAHHHH!!

7) VFTs when grown outside, are actually starting to produce winter leaves!  Imagine that!

8) In case you haven't figured this out yet, natural sunlight is MUCH prefered by plants over artificial lighting.  

9) VFT seedlings are too fragile to be stuck outside and have  their light exposure doubled.  But, as the main crowns of these plants died, little plants popped up from the leaves! Hurrah!

10) All my plants are catching tons more bugs, and producing so much more dew and nectar, it is not even funny!  Next spring, most of my plants are going outside!

11) That technique for sick utrics with disease and pests, letting it totally dry out for a week or two and then giving it water again, WORKS! One utric saved!
So, did you learn anything new this week?

SF

1) Drosophyllum seeds are hard to sprout (regardless of what you may have heard on this forum)
dry.gif

2) D. cistiflora seeds are hard to sprout unless they are fresh

3) Cephalotus are the most colorful and amazing pitcher plants IN THE WORLD!

4) D. regia roots aren't as thick and tough as i had expected  
whistling.gif

5) VFTs are amazingly easy to start from seed when you aren't expecting it

Hmmm... i'll have to think a bit for the rest.  Most of these are sort of ongoing... each week teaches me the same lesson a bit more than the previous week

About the only thing Ive learned this week is that:

1- You need to keep your computers anti-virus up to date.

2- If you dont follow lesson #1, be prepared for a nightmare of headaches trying to fix and restore all the (explitive deleted) stuff that the virus attacks.

Thanks again Andrew for all the help...
Steve

1) Be careful where you put and stake your cold frame. Make sure it has windbreaks around it and don't stake it where the ground gets really soggy after a couple inches of rain. My cold frame has blown over twice and dumped all my cps on ground. Both times we had 2+ in. of rain and 50+ mph winds blowing east.

2) An in the ground bog requires a lot less care than the pots in trays method.

3) An in the ground bog inside your cold frame saves your cps from being dumped if you don't do what i suggested in tip #1.
smile.gif

Well those are my three lessons i have learned this year.
smile.gif

-buckeye

Back