What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idea for new topic

• Thread starter Jmenprkr
  • Start date
what do you think
people (homer) can post there ideas to save money in CPing

I think its a great idea  
laugh.gif

well i hope this thing goes through LOL  
blues.gif

unclesam.gif

ghostface.gif

tounge.gif

I'm not sure I'm comprehending all this. Please try to make your posts make sense with complete sentences and an explanation or example.

I think you're wanting to know is if we could create a forum acrea for others to post thier ideas on about CP's??
rock.gif

How would this save money??

Ok this new forum topic will be for budget cp.
Where you post ideas to save money in the world of CPing.
Like homers idea for pigmy pots.
Stuff like that that help Save Money.
Or make CPing cheaper.
Lets say using plastic cups for Nep pots.

Oh ok, like an "idea's for CP's" forum or something of the sort.

I can move this to the Company forum if you wish for Phil to answer to this (when he has time) or we can leave it here, up to you.

I think what you really mean, is a DIY forum. These DIY projects don't always save money, but they do (ok, can
smile.gif
) give you a finished product that is more exactly what you want.

For example, i spent a while last night searching for highland grow chamber in nepenthes forum for the details of Sword's DIY grow chamber.

I think it's a good idea, but perhaps it would be served by having the particularly good DIY threads moved to the new "articles" forum. Apropos on the articles forum, can somebody move Tamlin's excellent "Adventures in Drosera, Pygmy Sundews" thread there? It should be read by all.

Thanks

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]can somebody move Tamlin's excellent "Adventures in Drosera, Pygmy Sundews" article (to the article forum)

Good idea. I was thinking the same thing.

SF

ya move it and ask how many mods are needed for the forum
rock.gif

if it does go through can i be the moderator for that forum.???

i have always wanteed to be a moderator
rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif

Jamie...I'm curious....WHY do you want to be a mod? We can't fly or walk through walls. lol
biggrin.gif

Suzanne

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Nov. 11 2003,10:16)]....WHY do you want to be a mod?  We can't fly or walk through walls.
and the pay is absolutely terrible.  Not to mention the lack of retirement benefits
mad.gif
!

sad.gif

BCK

Sorry if I got too flippant, but being a mod can be a real pain in the posterior Jamie.  It will take a lot of your time and you will have to be even more careful of what you say and do as a mod.  For example, as a member you can get away with poor sentences full of abbreviations with the occasional post by me and others to explain yourself better.  As a mod you will have to express yourself clearly all the time as your post will now have the weight of being from a mod.  I have not volunteered to be a mod for another reason.  I enjoy getting on the forum when I please.  If I don't want to check it for 2 weeks I don't have to.  As a mod you will have the responsibility of checking to make sure things are going well on a regular basis.  That sounds to much like work to me and I don't like when something I do for fun becomes work.

The job of moderator brings with it little more than the prestige of being a moderator of a popular forum, but it also entails a lot of responsibility and the need for level headed decision making.  I for one would not like have the responsibility of telling someone I liked that they stepped over the line too far and that they were being banned from the forum.  I get enough stress at work.

I learned a long time ago to be careful of what I wished for, because sometimes I got it and wished I hadn't.

The only benefit you get from being a mod is that of doing something for a forum you care about and the knowledge that what you do is helping to spread the knowledge of CPs and their care around the world.

'nuff said from me I think.

A moderator doesn't mean you're special or anything of the sort. The title "Moderator" simply means one whom monitors. We don't have a paycheck from Phil or a special "I'm smarter than you" rank. We were chosen by Phil to help him keep the forums running smoothly since he is always quite busy. If there is a need for more new mods I am sure Phil will put up a community notice. Phil doesn't even know about your idea yet, so one cannot say that this will even go through.

Jamie

If you want to be a mod for the RIGHT reasons (to help out) and not just because its sounds cool or looks like you're better than everybody else...well, you can do that NOW as a member.  There is very little a mod can do that YOU can't already.  Sure, we can move or a delete a topic, BUT...you can be just as helpful being a member.  You can greet newbies, answer questions *when you know the answer*, alert a mod if you see trouble...most of the things Mods do.

So you don't get to see Moderator under your name.  
smile.gif
 Big deal!  Moderators also get crapped at for doing their job sometimes.  There's no pay, no perks...we all just do it to help out Phil because we think its important to keep the boards going...and we love the plants!  
biggrin.gif

So don't fret the moderator thing.  Its really no biggie.  
smile.gif

Suzanne

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and the pay is absolutely terrible.  Not to mention the lack of retirement benefits  !

BCK

Hahahaha...That to funny!!
laugh.gif

I agree with Nep G, PAK, and BKC.  Being a mod means acting mature and making decisions...Frankly that is tooooo much stress for me. I be freaking out!!

As for a new topic I think pft has enough topics right now. I do have an idear for saving money thou saving pop bottles. In Michigan pop bottles are worth 10 cents, sorry Californians *tee hee*. Although it is not a get rich quick scheme...but invest well, who knows?

Travis

"Being a mod means acting mature and making decisions...Frankly that is tooooo much stress for me. I be freaking out!!"

Whaaaaaaaaaat??!!??!!  
wow.gif
  You mean I have to act mature??!!  Awww darn!   I want out of this job!  Now I be freaking out tooo!  LOL   
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

Gee Suzanne.. I could swear I heard all that somewhere recently.. hehe
wink.gif

Steve

That is not to mature PAK! What are you doing? LOL
wink.gif

I want to be a mod so i can sort out information in that forum. I think that not abbrieviating stuff will be a lesson for me to sort out my sentences. (LOL) I think this would be a great expierence for me. And no i dont think that i would e alot higher or "Better". Also i think since i thought of it i should sorta have some athourity (not trying to be rude or anything.) I think it would be fun. With the time i spend on the forums i dont think anything will be a big deal for me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also i think since i thought of it i should sorta have some athourity (not trying to be rude or anything.)
That is exactly the mindset that does NOT fit with being a mod. Good mods are not mods because they want power. They do it because they genuinely love the plants and serving the CP community. I have spoken to many of them off forum and I can tell you that every single mod I talk to regularly has expressed that they never requested, and even refused the positions when offered. Personally I would be extremely suspect of any mod who wants the job for the sake of the "authority" they think it will gain them. IMHO RESPECT is the prerequisite of authority, and no title will gain you respect, that must be earned through hard work and dedication.

Just my opinion.
Steve

I think its the difference between the attitudes, "What's in it for me?" and "Will it be in OTHER's best interests?"

When people respect something, they unconsciously, or consciously, try to be like it. I think this principle applies here. People would jump at the chance to obtain what they *think* is the most desired.

My two Lincolns.

SF

Back