What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken :(

My plants have been outside for a few weeks now, sleeping. About a week ago, they got blown over in the wind, and got all crushed and broken. Some of my pitchers got eaten by snails or something, and my VFT is now an unhealthy pale green
sad.gif
I hope they make it, they were growing really big, and I even found a tiny VFT in the pot with one of them not so long ago.

Quick question: my sundew has been kept inside because apparently it doesn't need hibernation. is it normal for it to loose all it's dew in winter? I've not changed anything except the temperature (it lives with me at a respectable 18c at the moment) and all the leaves are dried up. I keep it in a tray of water, and it's always wet.

Thanks!

If your cps are dormant i don't think there should be too much damage to them. My entire collection get knocked over twice during this past growing season and it hardly seemed to affect them at all! So i wouldn't worry too much. As for the sundew, i think if i remember right sundews go through "dew phases" and "dew-less phases." When you said "the leaves are dried up" were you referring to their lack of dew or are the leaves themselves drying up? If the leaves are drying up i would say that maybe it needs higher humidity or more light. Also try to keep water in its tray at all time. Hope this helps.

-buckeye

if it's the dew that has dried up, i would have to ask if the furnace is running. if it is on, it could be lowering the humidity a bit.
my furnace does not have a built in humidifier (some do) and it gets really dry in my house over the winter. even with 2 medium humidifiers running full blast, 24/7 the humidity level only hits 50% (which feels "dry" to me).

just a thought...
technoracer

Hey Mark,

For your vfts, what's important is that the bulb remains nice and crunchy (like celery). If that's the case, it should grow back fine.

About your 'dews, if there was a fluctuation in the temp or humidity it can cause some loss of dew. Also if it's flowering, I've noticed mine will reduce or lose some dew. If it's small enough, putting a plastic cup (with a hole drilled in it) can help bring back the sparklies faster. Keep an eye on it though, you don't want it ridiculously wet in there.

Thaks guys!
The 'dew has been going through some environmental changes recently, I think it's colder now, and more humid. Yes, the problem I'm having with it is that it has no dew. But I'll just leave it and see what happens. It's covering it's medium sized saucer (always full of water), so it's not small enough to put a cup over (yay!)

I won't test how crunchy my VFT bulb is in the same way I would celery, I'll just hope it grows back OK. I don't want to risk killing it by looking. (It's outside in it's peat moss like it is all summer. maybe bad? probably better than me trying to unpot the poor thing)

It would be really great to have the little guys back in the spring. The house is full of little fruit flies, and my 'dew is no longer doing it's job!

Back