What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First major snow fall...

It started to snow this morning in Toronto and now it's a big blizzard. I placed my my vft's and pitcher plants out last night in a covered tank, I hope they do alright during the winter. Anybody in Canada or northern U.S. put their plants outside for dormancy? or is this not a good idea?

cool.gif

Well I tried that with my s. purp and I live in Michigan. All I can say is Rest In Peace little purp...BTW, I woke to some snow this morning too.

Travis

One year, I left my purpurea ssp venosa out and it died. The following year, I left my VFT and Sarracenia in the garage. This year, I will leave them out but put them in my CP chamber. But no snow yet.

We don't EVER get snow down here in Florida, but it is getting cooler.

SF

yeah, the snow fall was a real blizzard. luckly, i took my plants in this morning. i don't think venosa will survive a canadian winter as the most recent frost we had killed off all the traps. Zongyi

Bleh! It was warm yesterday now snow today. That's it I am going into hibernation.

I was repotting some plants out in the greenhouse today and I kept hearing "tic tic tic spit spit" walke dout and it's snowing...I wondered why the heater was running a little more than usual!
smile.gif

We also had some snow flurries here. I just looked at the thermometer and it said it's 33 degrees out. I think we might have gotten to upper 30s today. We've also had really strong winds with wind chills in the low 20s to the teens.

Anyhow, cchang i also have to agree that canada is probably too cold to leave your cps out over winter. Maybe if you mulched very, very heavily they could survive but i'm not sure that would even be enough.

-buckeye

maybe try pupurea ssp. purpurea. actually, the venosa traps didn't die, they just became floppy and whent normal after i took it in. Zongyi

Aahhhh...I wish it were snowing here. I love snow.
smile.gif
Its been fairly warm here til today. Very strong winds (made the power flicker on and off) today and a sharp drop in temperature. Supposed to be high 20s tonite...one of the coldest so far.

Anyone wishing to ship snow down my way...feel free!
biggrin.gif

Cchang, the only way that your plants can survive outside in Canada, is if you had them buried in a bog and mulched it very heavy with pine straw. Even then, the chances are 50/50. You could experiment with a couple plants this year and then see if they live next spring.

Suzanne, you can have my share of snow, I hate snow.:angry:

Yeah... I thought about it and realized that it would be too cold. I just didn't want to clear the space in my fridge. I'll probably bring them in tonight when I get home.

One more thing that sucks about cold weather... ICE. I just twisted my ankle on patch of ice this morning while leaving for work.
mad.gif

At least all of the snow melted, but its only a matter of time before its here to stay. 8(

We don't have any snow but are in the middle of a storm at the moment. 70-80mph gusts so nothing should be outside
wow.gif

Back