What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB QX3/QX3+ Computer Microscope

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
I have been watching the price of the USB QX3+ Computer Microscope, which is more or less a toy for the classroom. However, it does look promising for basic imaging of seeds. Has anyone used this product and have any comments to go along with its use. I have read many positive reviews from teachers. At the moment they are less than $60 down from $99.

Thanks,

Nick

I bought a disecting microscope for AU$175, about US$120 and as I have a camera already, this seems to be a fairly good system, but only goes to 40x. The USB QX3+ does seem to have a bit of promise but what I could find on the net was not very encouraging, like the lack of good lighting, so by the time you add the cost of a few mods like a descent spotlight it could start adding up. The pic size was not that good either at 320x240. But for the price and 200x res, you could have a bit of fun.  
tounge.gif

I would love to hear from someone that has used one of these.

George

Well, you will shortly. I found one for $47 and it should be here Friday. I have a few lights that I can use if needed. The original price of the QX3+ was $149.95 and it has come down by $100 over the last year or so. I know its just a toy, but for the price I thought it would be fun to look into.

I have found mixed reviews on the product. Some say that its a much have tool for the classroom, other say avoid it at all costs. Still, most of the bad reviews are from people that buy it for their kids and their kids only use it for the first few days. I guess if one planned on using something like this weekly, that can be tossed out. It also only has a course focus, a complaint that many had, but still what you would find on a toy or cheap scope. Most complained of the small field of view at 200x and difficutly in focusing. Another complaint was that there were not slide clips, something that has been corrected in the QX3+ version. Even if it didn't come with clips,I am sure some could have been easily made from items found around the home.

Swords uses a different scope that costs more. From the reviews of his scope, he bought the better of the two for optics. I think the difference here is plastic vs glass. Although I have not been able to verify that.

If it works out, I will use it until I can afford something better. I am a bit older, but still like toys. It drives my wife nuts.

Back