What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trimming Live LFS

I have some live LFS which is crowding out my sundews. I like them to grow, though I think it's covering many of the smaller offsprings of the plant
smile.gif

I have never trimmed live LFS before, so here are some questions:

1. If I cut the LFS at a certain point, will the severed portion still grow?

2. How do I make it grow? Do I just lay it on peat? I mean, does it have like a root system or but I half bury it. (I'm sorry if this sounds silly, but the LFS came with the plant and I have never had to do anything with it
biggrin.gif
)

3. Will the severed portion of the original strand continue to grow, much like a severed vine of a Nep?

Thanks!

1) Im not sure
2) Just lay it on the ground
3) Yes, like Nepenthes, it will continue to grow

Questions 1 and 3 are the same.

For establishing moss, it should ideally be on a wet, acidic environment, like on top of waterlogged peat moss. I also will grown in a tub of shallow water and in highland Nepenthes pots.

Ok, I've trimmed the LFS. In fact I pulled out most of the strands and laid them on peat moss.

Think it'll work?

191-9147_IMG.JPG

thats how i grew all of mine :) i just layed it out on the dirt. i have to say, however,that my substrate wasn't saturated with water, just damp,although i collected mine from an area where it was basically growing in water, so yours might grow SUPER well. (it was all legal guys, dont worry. I had permission and it was going to be trambled anyway).

Ok I was just wondering... the lower part of the LFS gets brown as the tip grows right? So in the end, I'll end up with longer strands, but there would be the same number of strands?

Do they divide themselves or will the brown button parts turn green and "branch" out?

They can multiply. They do this be way of spores. I had just bought some LFS when I decided to try and grow it. I just got a handful and put in a tuperware container with half full water and put the lid on it. In just a few weeks it sprouted, and well now it is gitting about time to divide it as it is getting ready to crowd itself out. But yea LFS will grow just about anyway.

Back