What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First snow!

Wow first snow It is down to 20 degree nights and 40 degree days! I`m freezing here! what happened to that nice 80 degree weather last month?! Well it is preaty though all the snow on the pine trees. Well I guess the cold is inevitable.lol.Even down at the mex\tex border,where my grandparents live,it`s been below freezing at night,but the temps quickly rise back up to the 80` in the day.
unclesam.gif

We got about an inch of snow sometime in the last week (I forget when). Our highs have been in the mid to lower 30s and lows in the 20s and teens. Thursday night and Friday we're suppose to get 6-8" in northern Ohio, 3-6" where i live and like 1-3" in southern ohio. I can't wait! I love snow!!
biggrin.gif

-buckeye

I hope you get all the snow then there won't be any left by the time the weather gets to New York!  
tounge.gif

Our high today was 20, low last night was 12.  I like snow, too, just not in excess.  Like when it gets difficult to see the street lights from your window.  Or when you can't open the door in the morning because of all the snow that fell during the night.  I'm not complaining - just commenting.  I like living here (our summers are wonderful) but sometimes the weather can be a bit harsh.

I used too live in new york,rome new york,and then we moved to altus oklahoma,and now we`re stuck in missouri! Well my plants love the consistent hot stickily humid weather at least!

Btw. does anybody like my new avvy? It`s of my buttercup hen when she was a chick. Or do you think I should switch back to the cat?

Hey, pond boy, Rome is only 40 miles from us!  And that sounds like cold weather for Missouri.
So, that's a chick, huh?  I can see it now.  The picture is really small & hard to see detail.  At least, for these old eyes.  That's neat that you can share your 'family' with us.

Yep It`s a female sicilian buttercup to be exact1 I grew it from an egg that april gave us.

Theres a pro and con for living in a non-snow and warm place:
pro: lowland neps and other plants that need lots of warmth
con: dormancy is in the fridge!
tounge.gif

In the "winter" here we sometimes get down to a chilly 18 degrees at night (Celcius) but right now the rainy season is just waiting to hit us and it's HUMID and hot, really sticky.

If I was going to live somewhere based solely on CP growing conditions it would be somewhere cold for sure! Here in the tropics we can grow lowland Neps and some Drosera easily, everything else struggles. Where you are you can grow Flytraps, Sarra's, all the more interesting Neps and even Pings easily. At least in the cold you can heat things up, it's so much harder for us to kep things cool than for you to keep things warm.

Enjoy and appreciate what you got there.
The grass is always greener.

Cheers, Troy

Hey pond boy I kow how you feel, 20 degree lows and 40 highs, thats what we have been getting here, well actualy highs in the 30's but it's all good, nice beach weather, and you have to love these warm nights...

Oh you mean Farenheit, oops thought you meant celcius
biggrin.gif

Had to rub that in
tounge.gif

George

No far
you guys get all the snow
here it NEVER snows
right now it only 30F nights and up to 60-70F durring the days
oliver
biggrin.gif

I LOVE snow! Any you guys don't want, send it my way!

It is cold here too...leaden grey skies... and we are actually having "frozen precipitation" as I type. It keeps changing from snow flurries to sleet...very light though. Its just a cruel tease.
smile.gif

Yep...was just a couple of weeks ago it was in the low 80s here...very unusual for that though.

C'mooooooon snow!
biggrin.gif

Hmm, we got three inches of snow last night. I woke up this morning because one of my friends called. While I was talking to them they told me to look out the window. Now when I went to bed the night before, there was no snow on the ground, and within maybe seven hours it had snowed three inches. I even went skiing, and apart from the sleet, I had a great time. If you don't ski/snowboard, you are missing one of life's greatest pleasures. LOL I LOVE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tounge.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Wes
cool.gif

We get more than enough snow - plenty to share.  Unfortunately, snow doesn't transport very well.  Suzanne, you are most welcome to come on up here & visit all the snow you'd like anytime!
biggrin.gif

I just looked at our weather report and it says we're in a winter weather advisory for tonight and tomorrow. They're calling for freezing rain and sleet followed by 2-4 inches of snow.
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

-buckeye

hmm, I had snow in Septhember, summer temp (21 C!!!
tounge.gif
)in November and their is snow on the mountain now, so I guees it not long till we have snow again (hey, maybe in christmas
cool.gif
) . better bring my Sarracenia in soon...
tounge.gif

I can not believe that many people love snow. I like snow but the only reason I am not a big fan of winter is due to my pipes freezing every year.
mad.gif
I think I may fixed the problem this time, time will tell.

Were having near 0 wind chill!

This is not first snow but we just got dumped on!  Big Time!  And I had to be out driving in it.  
sad.gif
  The snow is real pretty from the inside of the house - don't mind the stuff until I have to be out there dealing with it on a first name basis.  So, here it is, PAK, come & get it!  No need to trade anything at all for it - you can keep the earthquakes.  And we had 2 crazy roofers up on our roof brushing off the snow so they could nail on the shingles.  They got it finished just before dark.  No more tarps.
How about schloaty & nep g , tony - how did you fare with this lake effect gift?

Me? We had about 3 inches so far, but nothing now. All melted and really boring up here. lol I want some snow now. Slides off the greenhouse better this year too.

Back