What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daphnia

I've recently started a triop tank, brine shrimp tank, but I want to acquire a daphnia culture to start producing for my frys. But the petstore I used to get them at lost their lease and closed out. I didn't know this, and I already washed out my daphnia culture cuase of re arrangements. I was just going to pick another one up, but I can't find a culture, local petstores around me doesn't seem to carry live daphnia around. I have petcos and Petmarts, and I don't have much of a personally owned petstore, so I'm not sure where to get them. Where would I be able to acquire some again? I've seen some people get them from ponds, but I don't want to risk bring anything back, and I won't be sure what other disease or things may come.

Thanks in advance
Daniel

Also, if anyone know of any small fish, that will love to live in a small area, 1 inch dept about 1.5 inches wide, non aggressive, can anyone tell me, I have a small pond thing in my vivarium and wanted to add some kind of creature in there. I have dart frogs in there too, so I can't put in any crawdads, salamander. I was thinking feeder guppies, but if the thing is too small, then I rather not put anything at all.

Are you keeping your Triops and brine shrimps in different tanks? I understand that Triops are freshwater creatures, whereas brine shrimps lives in very salty waters. Therefore, both should not be kept together in the same tank.

Yes different tank, different water, different plants =D.

Hi DKim128,

Your local aquarium clubs probably have people with daphnia. Also, try <www.lfs.com>. It's a place in Mississippi that sells all sorts of live food mail order. Also Carolina Biological Supply sells daphnia. Look at the classified ads in the back of TFH, FAMA and Aquarium Fish monthly fish hobby magazines. Firms list there. Get Daphnia magna for adults and Daphnia moina for fry not Daphnia pulex. Good luck.

Bobby

Keep a close eye on your Triops culture, if you wait long enough, you should eventually have some daphnia. That's where I got mine from. Just make sure you get to the daphnia before your triops do. Now I've got two daphnia cultures going, soon to be more.

Mike
smile.gif

MIKE, I WAS LOOKING AT MY TRIOPS THE OTHER DAY. And I thought I saw some daphnia. But I was like oh they must be deformed daphnia or something.

Cause daphnia has a funny movement so i thought it was dthem =D. I got Daphnia!!

the only problem is getting the daphnia out of the water without getting the triops, any advice. they are about the same size still.

Yes, triops are terrible carnivores, they eat eachother, and will probably eat your daphnia, like monkeyman said. DON'T put triops with other small aquatic creatures, or CHOMP
wow.gif
tounge.gif

I know aquaculturestore.com sells them. The ones Im culturing came from a pond in my backyard....how they got their, along with scuds and the darned red water mites, I don't know!

Back