What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flourescent Lightbulb

• Thread starter peter
  • Start date
Do you guys think that a plant\aquarium light bulb is sufficient for growing plants? So far the three Vft's I brought have great color, and the new traps produced by the green red dragons are dark red with yellow on the tips of the traps. they are about six inches away from the light. the light is a 18 watt GE Plant\Aquarium flourescent light. On the package it says that the light bulb gives out a wide spectrum of colors.

How many bulbs do you have over the plants?? Just one?? I would recommend getting more if you just have the one. I have five 20 watt 18 inch bulbs over my 29 gal terrarium. The package the bulbs came in said that they have 75 watt output and only use 20 watts of electricity. Personaly i find this kind of hard to believe since this would mean i have 375 watts shinning down on my plants and it doesn't look that bright. Hope this helps.
smile.gif

-buckeye

Buckeye-
Manufacturers like to put claims like this on fluorescent bulbs. It is simply a comparison between watts used and light output between fluorescent and incandescent light bulbs. What it is saying is that the 20 watt fluorescent is putting out the same light as a 75 watt incandescent. I guess this is kinda useful for people replacing incandescent bulbs with much more efficient fluorescent and trying to figure out what size bulb they would need. As far as the plants are concerned this information is meaningless.

Tony

Back