What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

boiled water

• Thread starter wezx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    tap
sorry to bring this up again
i saw this in "www.littleshopofhorrors.co.uk"
:"or use cooled boiled water from the kettle"

i can't afford distiled water here in singapore because its expensive and i am a student with not much money.
is it ok to use cool boiled water? does it take away most of the mineral/etc and it is better than tap water right

Hi wezx,

Tap water in Singapore is alkaline @ PH7.5 to 8 and more, TDS (total dissolved solid) range from 120 ppm (part per million) and above, boiling do little change to the tap water. Generally not suitable for long term use due to salt accumulation and most CP likes acidity. CPers in Singapore use tap water only for Nep, but not for other CPs.
How about using rain water? Rain water is basically “clean” and slightly acidic. This time of the year we should be able to collect lots of rain water, thanks to NE monsoon.
The other alternatives are to use boiler purifier (S$299~399, and electricity cost) or special water filters (S$800 onwards but have recurring cost in replacement of filter insert).

boiling water makes it WORSE for CPs!
by boiling, you are removing the pure water, (in the form of steam) and leaving behind the minerals, which is what makes water "hard" and bad for CPs..
so boiling water makes HARDER than it was originally!
and far worse for CPs than it was originally..
and it does absolutely nothing to remove the harmfull minerals..

however, if you could collect the steam only and condense it back to liquid water, then you have nice pure water for CPs!
but thats very difficult, and not really worth the effort..

easiest ways to get good water for CPs is to:
1. buy distilled from the store.
 (can be expensive if you need a lot..and ONLY buy distilled!  no regular "bottled water"..that can be just as bad as your tap water)

2. collect rainwater. (free!)

3. use RO water. (expensive to buy the unit,)

Scot

this link should be helpful : http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3370.html and yes , boiling water is evern worse for cp's . i've been meaning to convince my science teacher to help me make a simple distiller using a special type of flask , bunsen burner , and such .

Beware of acid rain. The rain water around Singapore is not as pure as what most people think. This is because part of our southern coast is surrounded by oil refineries!

Acid rain is quite nice. Keeps the soil acidity down and the plants happier. We get alot of it here in the NE in NY, probably why were have native acid loving terrestrial orchids around here and lots of bogs up in the mountains.

I would suggest trying to capture the steam if you need water this badly.

Back