What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the rules?

*Big sigh*

I thought I knew what to capitalize and what not to, but as I was fixing my website, I realized that I don't.  If someone could help me out with the Latin binomials, I would appreciate it.

Questions.

Do you capitalize the name if it is a hybrid?
ex. N. X coccinea or N. X Coccinea

Do you capitalize the name if it is a cultivar?
ex. N. 'Ile de France' or N. 'ile de france'

Kinda off topic, but is N. X Judith Finn a cultivar? Or is it just another hybrid?  I wasn't sure about this one.

SF

After checking the ICPS website, the answer is Yes, N. x 'Judith Finn' is a registered cultivar.

Hi SF,

While genus names are capitalized, species names are not: "Drosera capensis"

Since a hybrid name represents a plant on a "species" level, this too would be uncapitalized: "Drosera x watari"

hope this helps.

Where is Vic Brown or Pinguiculaman when you need them!

I will probably be corrected but here is what I think:

The first should be N. x Coccinea in not registered or alternatively spell out the hybrid formula Nepenthes coccinea x N. whateveritis.  If it is a registered cultivar it should be Nepenthes 'Coccinea' (in single quotes).

Nepenthes 'Ile de France' is correct. Always capitalized, and in single quotes if registered as a cultivar.  I'm sure of this.

....and many thanks for taking the trouble to be accurate!

There is a fine article on 'A World of Pinguicula' website, written by Pinguiculaman and Eric Partrat on this, which is short and precise about what you need to know... And is very nice, as the rest of the website btw... You can find it here

Thank you so much! That article on the website is very helpful! I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me!

SF

Excellent article! I see I have lots to learn yet!

So a registered hybrid or cultivar name is capitalized only if it was registered such. Are hybrids or cultivar ever not registered in the capitalized form?

Off the top of my head.. natural hybrids would fall into the treat like a species format.

N. x trusmadiensis

Tony

Back