What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fruit Flies??

Ozzy has generously offered to send me fruitflies (for shipping) and I need to know what kind of cold they can take. Do the eggs go dormant in cold weather, possibly to return with warmer temps? Are there any recommended shipping methods, especially for cold weather? Any advice at all would be helpful.
Thanks for the answers in advance.

SF

Hi Snowyfalcon,

Send Ozzy a 60 hour heat pack. There is a guy on Aquabid.com who sells them. I think he is under "shipping supplies" or something like that. Also The FishWizards.com sell the 60 hour heat packs. Just have Ozzy activate it and tape it to the top of the styrofoam (thick stryo) shipping box. You might check local pet stores that sell reptiles or even bettas as they will often sell wingless fruit fly cultures and that might be cheaper in the long run. Vets are great sources for free thick styro boxes as meds are shipped in them. If you know a vet just ask him to save all his styro boxes and pick them all up and then just save what you need.

Bobby

It looks like they only sell them in 30 pack bunches at the first site and 4 pack bunches at the second. It's too expensive for what a bunch of larvae are worth! Thanks for the help!

I think the best bet for you, is to find it locally. But if you really want them, people usually send cultures of fruitflies out. I have a couple cultures running right now, but all my cultures came during the warm season, or as overnight shipping. But I don't think you want to spend 30 dollars on fruitflies. If you keep the culture nice and insulated it should be fine. Lots of styrofoam box, and newspaper should do the job. But since fruitflies have small bodies if the temperature gets too cold, even in short amount of time, they will die.

HTH
Daniel

I think I will check around locally. Thanks to Ozzy though, for offering them anyway.

SF

Any university will have them...just find some student in genetics and ask for a few wingless from one of their vials...most of the professers will probably give about 20 of the things.....and thats all you need
wink.gif

No problem, SnowyFalcon. I don't want to see you pay way too much for some flies. They are really cheap and you can buy some online for less that $10. No use in spending a fortune on some that are not even guaranteed. If you need some more in the spring time you know where to look. By then I should have millions of them. If anybody else needs any in the spring let me know.

Back