What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CENSORSHIP AT TERRAFORUMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am SPITTING mad over this comment, posted yesterday:

"uh oh..
looks like the thought police have been here.
I thought this was America..silly me.
be afraid.. be very afraid.."

"I just typed a BIG rant about censorship..but then deleted it.
it was up for about 2 minutes! it was entertaining!
did anyone see it!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
"

So what does the smiley and winkey imply? That this is all a funny joke and that all the other members are in on it? That everyone knows about the censorship rife on this Forum? IF things are so censored here, do you really think such insulting comments would still be up on the thread?

How DARE you post such a comment on this Forum! I am personally offended at this comment. Whatever your personal feelings were in regards to your post being deleted, you had no right to make such a public comment, and to bite the hand that feeds you!

Whenever anyone implies that there is underhanded and arbitrary censorship at Terra Forums, you reinforce a FALSE impression in the minds of everyone who reads it, and you arttack the integrity of everyone here who is busting their butts for this community. The only pay that Mods get are the thanks of the community for their tireless dedication. Right now I am feeling underpayed!

If I had MY way, you and anyone who feels the need to vent your spleen as a result of correction by Moderation here on this forum by crying "CENSORSHIP" would be on a fast track out of here! I will be suggesting this concept to Phillip. I've had it with comments like this, and they do not amuse me. If you don't like the dictates of the Mods, or think that they are in some way power mad underhanded despots abusing our powers and perogatives, take yourself to a better place!

It is not YOUR call to decide what is acceptable on this Forum! That is the job of Moderation, and it is our call. If a Mod corrects you, you have ONE option as far as I am concerned, and that is to thank them, period. If you don't like this I personally invite to to take a hike.

On this Forum, you can say anything you like to anyone via personal messenger. We do not monitor, edit or place any restrictions on private communications between members. Public statements are different: when comments are made that in OUR judgement are inappropriate, we will act as our feelings dictate and usually by consensus BUT there is no requirement that we vote on every issue before acting. Phillip trusts our discretion, and trusts that we act in his best interests and the best interests of this forum, and we do.

You can say anything you like regarding CP on the appropriate forums, but you MAY NOT say anything you like regarding the personal presentation of our Forum members. This includes your views regarding their imagined deficits, their personal style, their race, creed or religion, their political affiliations, or whatever shortcomings you might imagine that they have.
Statements falling into these catagories will be reviewed by Moderation, and if in OUR opinion they are found to be in ANY WAY UNKIND, will be deleted forthwith.

As far as the comments made here go:

"The problem is not that Unknownclown fixed the spelling errors in the original post. The problem is she DELETED the posts that pointed out the errors. To the best of my knowledge, none of the rules of conduct were violated by either Scottychaos or myself........"

There was no PROBLEM, other than in your assessment of the situation. It is not YOUR call to decide what is, or is not acceptable. You are not a MOD. Your opinion of what is or is not acceptable matters not a whit. In this case, Unknownclown acted in a way she felt was appropriate, and upon reviewing the deleted post I agree. The tone of the post was condescending, and WORSE, it was public. It should have been made in private, if at all. So the "best of your understanding" is quite lacking in my opinion.

This was a case of an individual member making an error in judgement, being corrected and refusing to accept the correction by lashing out with unfair comments regarding the integrity of the Mods: maybe you can understand this now!

Here is the long and short of it folks: if you can't take correction by Moderation without crying "CENSORSHIP", you have no place on this Forum. You are a liability: marring the good name of Terra forums. You either accept that as Moderators are all doing our best for our community (of which you are a part) or you leave to find the promised land where you can say and act without any constraints placed upon you. Have fun. See ya!

So now as a result of this innanity Terra Forums will be deprived of a good friend and hard worker. The remaining Mods get to work a little longer and a little harder. Nice going!

These are my own personal opinions and may or may not reflect the opinions of the owner of these boards. I am not open to debate or discussion of my statements made here.

Yes sir, I agree. I don't know how many people are currently behind you in your army but, I am there. I agree with everything you say (not that I'm a mod and it really matters... all it means is I'll be around on the board. IE I'm not going anywhere
wink.gif
)
I appreciate the work that ALL the mods put in here. And I "Pity the fool" that acts inappropriately. May the Lord have mercy on your soul...
Andrew

And for the official opinion of the Admin, check out the Pinned topic.

As said there, the word censorship is a very loaded word, and in the future, if you choose to use it, you better have done your homework.

Pinned Topic

Tamlin,
I find your post to be very mean,
and hurtful.
you have hurt my feelings and you have been "not nice"..
which is totally against the rules!!
I think your entire post should be deleted at once!
tounge.gif

(im kidding obviously..)

my smiley and wink icon was meant to show im not taking any of this too seriously! which some of you obviously are..
Get a grip people.

it was censorship.
UC made the wrong move..
deal with it and move on.

Scot

I am in your army Tamlin. Here's my thanks to all the Mods and Admin that make this forum work around the clock.

SF

dealt with... we are moving on.

You have your opinion, keep it to yourself or express it in private.  every moderator, admin, and owner of the company disagrees with you, as do a fair number of members of this board, but hey... your entitled to your opinion. You are not however entitled to express it further. Just so it's public record, peer review in the mod forums is 100% behind UC's actions.)

Every time someone cries censorship, they feel they have a just cause and banner to hide behind and sheild them from repercussions.  Not going to happen anymore.  Read here:  

Pinned Topic

Topic is closed, topic is locked, I don't want to hear another public peep about it. I want peace on these forums.

(Note: some may consider this censorship. It is not, this is called "Moderation" it is how we keep the peace and keep this place fun.  To many times in the past we have given room for stuf flike this to pick wind up in it's sails, it causes huge disruptions, destroys friendships, and sullys the boards.  Not this time. It's over.)

And Tamlin..
according to all the "rules of polite conduct and niceness"
which have recently been discussed,
If you had a problem with me personally, werent you supposed to I.M. me privately instead of posting a mean and snotty message on the forum?
I thought that was the approved procedure?
Are those rules for everyone *except* you?

(and yes I fully realize the irony of me posting this message publicly instead of IM-ing Tamlin!)

looks like a double-standard here.
its ok to be rude and mean if you are on the correct "side"..
but its not ok if you arent..
very interesting..

and..this topic had been dropped..
it has been resolved..
everyone had moved on..
who dredged it back up for no good reason?
who is now contributing to this forum being "not fun"??

Scot

Closed to keep the peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back