What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Acceptable Use

Phil and I would like to apologize for some of the post which slipped thru last night. We had a member who was unhappy about a moderator and decided to post an EXTREMELY offensive personal attack. The vulgarity of the post has resulted in the member being deleted and permanently banned from this community.

I have also been in contact with the persons ISP and Microsoft as the posts are in violation of their Terms of Service; TerraForums is seeking termination of this persons' accounts with both providers.

This may seem "heavy handed" this may be "censoring the free flow of ideas" but its not - this is protecting everyone from posts which have no merit and were exposing our younger members to language that was blatantly unacceptable.

Once again - to those who were unfortunate enough to read the post, to the person who was targeted, and to all of our membership we apologize for allowing this to happen and I want to thank the moderators for catching this so quickly!

Now lets get back to the reason we are here - futhering the discussion of carnivorous plants.

I saw that post, and thank you for removing it. That person should not be welcome back here, ever.

CPs are fun, the people here are great. If that isn't good enough for someone, then nothing ever will be.

Max

The person is NOT ever going to even mentioned here again. As we know it he never existed.

Now let's get back to real life, what we are here for.......insect eating flora..

Ahem. . . you forgot to say "MONKEY eating flora"
tounge.gif

Actually, have neps devoured monkeys before?

I think there is commentary somewhere on the internet about a couple who witnessed a park ranger pulling baby monkeys out of a nepenthes once...

but that is not the point of this topic!
smile.gif
(Start a new one.)

That was in "the savage garden" I believe.,:p

Btw. theyv in no way "censore" this forum! I remember in my aquahobby days I would get in trouble for the least bit of a typo! Now thats censorship! Life is good here,life is good!
tounge.gif

My uncle saw a guide pulling out rats and large insect out of the nepenthes pitchers when he was on mt. kinabalu , but i don't know if i ever remembered hearing him say anything about monkeys in the pitchers . i do remember however , about a person saying here on the forums that a park ranger pulled out baby monkeys out of nepenthes pitchers , some dead some still alive and the tourist were very upset and engrossed about it .:O

Huh, I definitely can't bring they're name back up... well, because I don't even know who it was.
tounge.gif
But, then again I don't care to know who it is. LOL

Later
Wes
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think there is commentary somewhere on the internet about a couple who witnessed a park ranger pulling baby monkeys out of a nepenthes once...
but that is not the point of this topic!  (Start a new one.)
Since his suggestion was ignored to start a new topic I did it for you. If you want to post anything else about what nepenthes eat, please do it here
Thank you

Bumping.... I don't want to pin this just yet, but I want everyone to see it. (I think many of us look over pinned topics assuming they are always the same.)

Heres an idea that may prevent people from doing things like that. How about putting a short "waiting period" (say 24-48 hours) between when a person signs up and when they can actually post. This will give you time to weed out the "known" offenders and also give newbies time to do some research on their own before posting the same repetitive questions.

Steve

Yah,but then the people will cbe bored and leave,and never come back! 1-2 days is`nt a short time for a beginer. I`m speakin` from personel experience
!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Dec. 14 2003,12:47)]Yah,but then the people will cbe bored and leave,and never come back! 1-2 days is`nt a short time for a beginer. I`m speakin` from personel experience
!
If you have a serious question, and you absolutely cannot find help anywhere else you will wait. OR better yet.. you will actually take the time to look it up for yourself. MOST newbie questions that get asked have been answered numerous times already on the board. People are just too lazy to bother to look. CPs are NOT an "instant gratification" hobby. Since you must learn patience to grow CPs, why not start the learning by waiting to post the first time?

Steve

Just because some CPs require patience, does not mean that our boards also have to.
smile.gif
The boards are here for people to interact and offer advice. For me, browsing during break time at work turned into a nearly full-time hobby of mine for the last year. If there was a waiting period to discuss, maybe I would have just moved on to the next thing. People are not always just "too lazy to look," this is often something said by people who think they know everything (not aimed at you, sorry). Many people do not know where to look. How can we help this? Maybe we can include a basic article on google searching. Maybe we can deal with sometimes repeating information. Maybe we can find some way to preserve important threads where useful information is present. But just tellling people to not be lazy and ifnd it themselves certainly doesn't inspire any feeling of community, and can certainly turn people away from the hobby.

OK, the original post in this thread was in regards to someone who signed up on a very crude name and posted an extremely vulgar post aimed at one of our mods. If there had been a waiting period, this person would have been eliminated from the board before he ever had a chance to post his garbage here and try to spoil our community.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For me, browsing during break time at work turned into a nearly full-time hobby of mine for the last year. If there was a waiting period to discuss, maybe I would have just moved on to the next thing.

I don't understand why if you enjoyed reading the posts in the forum that much you would be inclined not to join if you had to wait a day or two to make your first post. After that you would be able to post at will just like any other member, and in the meantime you could continue to browse the boards and see even more what makes this such a wonderful group of people.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]People are not always just "too lazy to look," this is often something said by people who think they know everything (not aimed at you, sorry). Many people do not know where to look. How can we help this? Maybe we can include a basic article on google searching.

What good is a pinned article on google searching if people dont bother to read it? You can pin every piece of good advice in the world, but if people dont read it, whats the point? Example: There is a very good care sheet pinned at the top of the VFT forum. You dont need any special skills to find it, its the very top thread on that board. Yet how many times do we see questions like: "What kind of water?"  "How much light?" ect ect ect. These questions are answered in the care sheet, and its right at the top. Again it does no good if people dont take the time to read it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But just tellling people to not be lazy and ifnd it themselves certainly doesn't inspire any feeling of community, and can certainly turn people away from the hobby.

I am not telling anyone "not to be lazy". I have no problem at all helping out with any question I can answer. I just feel that a lot of the simple questions that get asked could be avoided with just a little bit of self searching. And while you search, you get the benefit of seeing posts made by other members and get a chance to see first hand just what a great community we do have here. I believe that will motivate people even more to want to join in so they too can be part of the best dang CP forum around.

Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't understand why if you enjoyed reading the posts in the forum that much you would be inclined not to join if you had to wait a day or two to make your first post.
I came here looking for help with a plant. I would probably have moved on to the next site if there had been a waiting period. And like I said, this was during a lunch break. I came back th next day because I was able to post a question, and was expecting a response. I am simply pointing out that I am an example of a person who would have been turned away with this policy, and there are probably others like me. I don't think that the possibility of turning away interested people at the hope of possibly slowing down crapflooders is a fair trade.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If there had been a waiting period, this person would have been eliminated from the board before he ever had a chance to post his garbage here and try to spoil our community.
More likely, the poster would have seen this the first time he chose an account, and would have chosen a less conspicuous username, and then proceeded to post his crap after the waiting period. Or even just post it under his old name, its no more anyonmous than the new one.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What good is a pinned article on google searching if people dont bother to read it?
Well, obviously we don't know how many people read it and decided not to post. Providing more sources of information is not going to hurt anyone. I didn't say it would eliminate repitition of information, but I do feel that it would help reduce it.

I don't think a waiting period would help.  As trashcan stated I think it would cost us members.  Particularly the ones who have plants that are dieing and they need information quick.  The quickest way to get information is to ask somebody who knows the answer or at least where to find the answer.  In one or two days it may be too late to save the plant.  Even if their plant isn't dieing why should they wait for us to let them join the membership when there are several other forums they can get into without a wait?

One of the goals of this forum is the exchange of information.  To teach/share what we know and have done trying to grow healthy plants.  Any teacher can tell you that teaching involves a lot of repition.  It's how we learn information that isn't pick up from first hand experience.

Consider this Catch 22:  A person does a Google search on growing Venus Flytraps.  Low and behold TerraForums pops up.  They think, "Great!  These people will know the answer!"  They register, post their question, and we tell them to do a Google search for the information.   This is how the goverment does things.  Not something I want to imitate.

smile.gif

BCK

I am well used to answering the same questions repeated ad infinitum. Sure, anyone with a bit of smarts could answer all these questions themselves with a rudimentary web search, or by consulting our own archives, but this is not ever going to be the way it goes. Most folk consider finding Terra Forums to actually *be* the answer to their search, and may not have the time or inclination to dig deeper for answers. Having good research skills is not automatic: the skills must be taught and learned. This is why I greet each reiteration of the same question with patience: for each person askking the question, it is the first time. The fact that they care enough to even ask the question is a very positive sign, and the only dumb question is the one that never gets asked. There will always be repetitive questions and problem personalities, but thats what the Mod Squad is for.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Dec. 14 2003,19:04)]...the Mod Squad
LOL I like that!  Sorta fits.  They did the tough jobs no one else could
laugh.gif
!

smile.gif

BCK

Back