What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know a US source

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
I would love to try some Supersphag but apparently its hard to get in the U.S. :-(

Has anyone here bought it or tried it? I think Tamlin has. Anyone else?

Suuuuuuure would be nice if Exotic Gardens started carrying it...I think it would be a hot item. Its hard to get here but sounds like wonderful stuff. For plants in general, its supposed to be one of the best media for starting any kind of seeds as well as cuttings.

Anyway, if anyone knows a U.S. source, let me know! I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap though. :-(

Try Michael Gallagher at Diablo Disa. Not sure if he is still carrying and selling it though.
Diablo Disa

What is the difference between "Super Sphag" and regular long fibered Sphganum moss?

It is all the tiny pieces and fines that come off the long fibered product during the numerous steps to produce those dry super compressed blocks.

I wouldn't use it alone as a mix. Even with the pumice, I personally think it's too much of a wet mix. But hey, the plants came in it so there they stay until they need new pots. Seems to work as a failsafe if it drys out also.

Thanks Tony.  
smile.gif
 I did see the Disa site but that was the only one...it was a little hard to tell if it was current and it seemed that he might not sell small quantities.  And it sounded VERY expensive when you add in the shipping (from CA).

From what I know of it, its super-fine sphagnum (the premium end pieces finely milled) that has been compressed into dry blocks...so a little goes a long way when you add water.  There are no fiberous stems...its very fine and pure, and makes a great environment for seeds and plants of almost any kind.

I want to try some but I guess there is no outlet in the U.S. that sells it as a regular suppy.  Maybe my local greenhouse could order it.

cooks cp's sells it i believe , about 5 bucks a block , its new zealand sphag from what i hear .

Ah, thanks! This stays way too wet for my use. I've chopped my LFS real fine before (like sawdust) and to me it's like peat, it never dries out in my chambers.

One reason I still like the cheap old US sphagnum is that it's so full of roots, twigs, grasses and other debris that it drains super fast yet stays moist. It just doesn't come to life as well as the NZ spahgnum. When I used to use the US Sphag I never used drainage improvement additives like orchid bark and charcoal. So I've been thinking of switching back to the generic US Sphag for any new plants and when I go to repot old ones. Using only the super clean NZ Sphag as a top dressing and rooting/cutting starter media.

I thought the NZ stuff is the one that won't come back to life(though it is so clean). Swords, does your top-dressing spring to life and start growing?
Super sphag is simply chopped(or milled maybe?) NZ sphagnum mixed with perlite. Dean Cook uses pumice instead, so maybe he's one up on the original. Chopped would work better for drainage and having air pockets then milled, I would guess.
I guess the point I am making is you can make your own. Outside of the Nepenthes forums, sphagnum/perlite mixes are probably the most common compost used for Nepenthes.

Regards,

Joe

I've experimented with all the different sphags and found that plain, cheap Wisconsin stuff with the twigs and dead purpurea pitchers works just as well as the expensive stuff with Nepenthes. In fact, we grow our bicalcaratas in straight up Wisconsin Sphagnum Moss, leaves, pine needles and all, and they love it. I also use it as part of our regular Nepenthes mix which includes fir bark, aliflor, charcoal, x-fine pumice, and Canadian sphag peat.
Leave the expensive NZ sphagnum for the orchids (We've gotten away from that too. We pot Phals in much longer lasting coconut husk chips/aliflor mix.).
For what its worth-everyone has different conditions-hope this helps.
Trent

When i went to Mike Catalani's CP Jungle that's all he used for the Nepenthes, highland, lowland, very rare, common, fussy, easy to grow, etc. They all were thriving in domestic sphagnum. I harvest my own and use it alone sometimes. Only problem i have is fungus gnats, but my gnatrol arrived today so now its my turn to be the pest!
smile.gif

I wasn't really considering Supersphag for a total substrate for any plant. I want it for experimentation and also for seed/leaf propagation.

I have tried milling my own sphag but the long pieces get stuck on the blender blades and nearly fry the motor. I can see various grades of sphag for various uses. But there are times you want a super clean, super fine media so I'd like to see what its like.

Back