What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spyder

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
Last January I went to North Carolina. While I was there I got a sample of U.gibba from a roadside ditch near Jones Lake State Park. I put it in a container, brought it home to Ohio. As the dirt and sand started to settle in the small tank that I had it in I would start to catch glimpse of something living inside with the U.gibba. It was very fast and since the water was still cloudy I could only see it for a split second, then it would disappear back into the sand. Soon the water settled and I could see the animal very good, but I have no idea what he is. I had Doug (Death66) take some pics of it for me. Here they are.

spyder3ed.jpg

spyder2ed.jpg

Spydered.jpg

I became quite fond of this little guy and I named him Spyder.
Even though I have lived most of my life in the same county that Spyder came from I have don't know what he is. Does anybody have any idea what Spyder may be?

Even though I really wanted to keep spyder I thought it would be best to let him live free in the same ditch I got him from. So I planned that when I go back to North Carolina again I would set him free in the same ditch that I got him from. Tragically that never happened. Last summer during a very bad storm the wind blew over his tank and I couldn't find him on the ground where it fell. I have wondered what he was ever since I first saw him. If anybody have any ideas I would love to hear em.

I maybe wrong, but it looks similar to a dragonfly nymph.

wow.gif

wow.gif
wow.gif
. . . you stole some u. gibba from the roadside mr. conservation moderator

yeah, it was probably legal though
dont know what spyder was

I followed every rule accourding to the ICPS guildlines. I first found this plant in July of 2002. I waited until I knew what the laws and regulations were before I took a sample. I even got Barry Rices opinion first. I then legally took a sample of a non-theatened plant.
That is totally different than taking a pitcher plant or a vft.
That don't mean that you can go out and take any bladderwort you want. You must do it legal.

Hello,
It appears to be what I called them like when I was 5, a boatmen. After the confirmation in my Audobon guide to North American insects, it appears to be either a common backswimmer, Kirby's backswimmer, or water boatmen. Sorry to hear about him.
wink.gif

Kevin

hehe thats a lot of work to get a u. gibba!
biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure Nick is right, looks like a dragonfly nymph to me too.
Here's a pic of one Ozzy

Dragonfly%20Nymph.jpg

Cheers, Troy.

Hello,
       This common backswimmer resembles the picture when Josh has it in his hand
Common_Backswimmer_14826_small.jpg

This one looks like the one in the container, in the second picture.
Corixidae-body-II.jpg

If you notice the 2 appendages when Ozzy is holding it in his hand, you can look in the second picture I found, and can notice that they both have them. Just my 2 cents.
                           Kevin

Back