What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant material disposal...

I was just curious...

How does everybody dispose of their plant waste material?
When I say "waste", I mean items such as:

dying leaf cuttings
excess medium
seeds and medium which has not germinated
dead plant

etc.

Thanks!

i have a big old pot that i use as a trashcan , old soil i would dispose by throwing it on my other plants , dying elaves i would throw away in the trash , old seeds i would throw on ground , dead plants i would just throw away in the trash .

Outdoors under my fruit trees etc.

I just gather it in a big container and when I'm done I just toss it outside the greenhouse, nice free fertilizer for the mud out front.
tounge.gif

I just throw everything in the trash along with the rest of my household garbage.

I asked because I had this image of tossing away excess aquatic utrics (not that I have any) down the toilet causing some rampant utric growth in Lake Ontario. Same with D.capensis... though I highly doubt it could survive a Canadian winter, it's weed like properties would give it a good run during the spring, summer and fall seasons (if some had 'theoretically escaped')....

Just a thought?

biggrin.gif

Into the Vermicomposting Bin, a large plastic rubbermaid tub in the basement setup so red wigglers compost the scraps, etc. The finished worm compost is amazing stuff!

Also, we use the worms to feed our frog, salamander, and chameleon - and sometimes the plants.

WildBill

I dispose of dead leaves usually outside in the garder (or will, now that I have a garden, lol). Same for old soil, unless it gets reused. Old soil with moss usually gets added to a bog garden.

As for capensis escaping, my parents (Niagara Falls, NY) have some that came up from seed that got into their bog garden, grew and flowered (producing more seeds) and has not yet died in the crown while sitting in their garage... I imagine it could, even in Ontario, probably come back from seeds if it escaped.

As for Utrics excaping into lake Ontario, I have seen so many ponds in that are with thick Utricularia, that I find it incredibly hard to believe it is coming from people flushing it down into toilets. I do know of a wildlife refuge where U. macrorhiza has grown very thickly in an area that exits a sewer into a pond, and another state park where a pond fed by a sewer is completely filled with some type of aquatic utricularia (as well as both the two other ponds in that park). I don't imagine it is escaping, though they don't seem to mind locations with sewer water being fed in, for some reason. Both this refuge, and this park, are very close to Lake Ontario. Aquatic Utrics just seem to be rather common in the area.

WildBill - that sounds like an interesting idea, I may have to look into trying that.
smile.gif

carnivorous23, I wasn't sure if Utrics were common in Lake Ontario but I used it more as an example of how it is possible to introduce some of the CPs which are not native to areas into the wild. Thanks for the info...

WildBill... that's a really good idea...

smile.gif

I'm not sure I've ever seen any in Lake Ontario itself, but there are quite a few species near lake Ontario. At least three species that I've seen (U. macrorhiza, and at least two other species I haven't had as much luck identifying) and according to Carnivorous Plants of the U.S. and Canada, others are native as well.

You do have a point though. That may have happenned in Washington State with U. inflata. I misread you post, I thought it was something you had heard had happened, sorry. It is something that could, indeed, happen, and Utrics are plants that can do that, especially the aquatic ones.

You definitely have a point about the D. capensis, especially. If it can survive in Niagara Falls until the end of December (maybe longer, it's still going, I didn't have time to transplant it when I was home), and it can grow from seed to flowering in one summer in a bog, it certainly could become established, even that far north. It really does make me wonder, about what plants can do that, and are common enough to get out. Thank you for the interesting hypothetical question.

Thank you carnivorous23... for pointing out U. macrorhiza and relaying your personal experience, makes me wonder even more about how I dispose of my plant material. I should revisit Schnell's book tonight... don't read it as much as I should.

smile.gif

Back