What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

looking for inexpensive Ro (Reverse-Osmosis) unit

looking to buy a ro unit under 100$ if possible so far all i have seen go around 300$..
any links or info would be most helpfull

I bought mine at home depot for $125. They're selling one now for $159 here: Reverse Osmosis unit at Home Depot

EDIT: Hmm. That URL doesn't work. It's Internet/Catalog #162836 at homedepot.com

You should be able to find one closer to 100 bucks, though. I really like mine, and you won't regret buying one.

Capslock

You could also check out ebay. That's where I got mine. I think you can get some for around $80.

-buckeye

Thx for the link's Guys
the ebay one for 88 dollars is something i am definatly getting =>

That unit doesn't come with a pressurized tank, so make sure you know what you're getting! How do you collect the water in a unit like this?

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That unit doesn't come with a pressurized tank, so make sure you know what you're getting! How do you collect the water in a unit like this?

The one I got doesn't have tank either. It has a hose connector on the inlet line and there's two open outlet lines. One is the pure water line and the other is the waste water line. I used an old 5 gal. bucket to collect the water from the pure line. You could also get a big trash can and use that to collect the water. Since i hooked it up in our basement i ran the waste water line so it would drain into the sump pump hole.

-buckeye

So some unit's come with out pressurized watter bin?
does that affect the quality of the purified water?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So some unit's come with out pressurized watter bin?
does that affect the quality of the purified water?

I don't think so. The tank is only used to store the pure water for use. Usually systems with tanks are sold to be mounted under a sink and used for drinking water. I would guess the tank keeps the water safer for human drinking use than a system with open ended lines. But the unsafe microbes that can grow in an open bucket of ro water are only harmful to humans, not to plants.

-buckeye

The issue for me is that the tanks hold a gallon-plus of water that is available at any time. What is the flow rate on one of the units without the tank? Isn't it just a trickle? I understand if you fill up a tank or bucket it's the same, but don't you have to be around to keep an eye on it so it doesn't overflow (unless you have a shutoff floater valve like a toilet)?

For me, the tank is preferable for the convenience. I can get over a gallon of water at any time, without having to do anything.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What is the flow rate on one of the units without the tank? Isn't it just a trickle? I understand if you fill up a tank or bucket it's the same, but don't you have to be around to keep an eye on it so it doesn't overflow (unless you have a shutoff floater valve like a toilet)?

Yes it is just a trickle.  Usually it take a few hours to fill up a 5 gal. bucket.  And yes you do have to keep an eye on it.  The first time I used it i hooked the filter up to the sink in the room with our washer and dryer.  I forgot about it and quite a bit of water overflowed and ran under the washer.  So I started hooking it up in the basement instead.  Now if it the bucket overflows it just drains into the sump pump hole.

-buckeye

i will be sure to try an buy one with a tank hopfully that that wont up the cost much at around 300$ on plants this xmass has left me with increasingly little money to spend =>

Shoot, I saw some for about that price listed at an orchid website, but I forgot to book mark it. I sugest you look at orchid sites for advice, their are a lot more of them then cp sites and since they also usually need distilled water and similar growing conditions to cp's overall, I find them a great resource.

This forum has been the single greatest web page i ever visited for info an links to cp an cp related stuff! thansk for the great info an links guys/girls!

Back