What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting effects....on Cps

After reading a post here about propagating Sundews and Butterworts aquatically, I decided to try something similar myself. I put a P. Primulifora(seedling), 2 D. Muscipula(seedlings), and 2 D. Adelae(leaves) in a glass of water(covered) next to my propagating trays under bright florescent light. After one month, the Vft's have grown a couple leaves, but most interestingly, they both grew huge(for their size) roots. Where as, there were hardly any before. The sundew leaves didn't do much, other than turn red, but the Ping was a big suprise. The two newest leaves were completely transparent green. Although I know some Pings have thin leaves, these leaves weren't any thinner than normal, just clear green. It was cool. I'm going to continue growing these few underwater until they are large enough to take pics of. Next I want to see how a Nep. forms a pitcher underwater. I'll post the results when I find out.

Mike
smile.gif

Cool! if I have a spare plant one day maybe I'll have to do this. Are the hairs on the sundew sticky?

Gotta love "thinking outside the box!" I'd be interested to see how things turn out for you.

The roots are probably larger because they are "water roots" wich are usualy more robust then "soil leafs".

The roots are probably larger because they are "water roots" wich are usualy more robust then "soil roots".

Back