What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

this is the wrong place for this but

my dogface puffer was bitten by my other puffer in the eye during a feeding frenzy. well today his eye is puffed out like popeye diease..... he can now longer see out of it. what i need to know is that the pressure thats has built up in his eye,will it continue to build up and could it kill him....... never had anything like this happen before.....
sad.gif
please help - should i use a needle to release the pressure, doesn't sound like a good idea, but ya know.......??

Treat him for pop eye with salt water maracyn - two... or if puffers count as scailess fish, use the scaless fish version of the med. It probubly IS pop eye since eye injeries are what usually cause it.

hmm guess thats right, they get it from bateria infection? right )and that causes the eye to pop out.

Ok I had a catfish that bumped into a rock once and got popeye....all I did was change his ater weekly and eventually it went away without any nasty meds.....I hate fish medications......

One small caveat with regard to medication designed to deal with bacteria: Be aware that many of these meds are indiscriminant about which bacteria they kill. They can kill both "good" and "bad" bacteria. You don't want to mess up your tank in this way. One approach that has success, whether it is bacterial or protozoan (saltwater ich) is to set up a temporay tank, usually a ten gallon one) and treat it with meds, temperature, whatever. This way you can treat the fish without destroying "good" bacteria or invertebrates. It isn't a perfect approach because moving a fish stresses them, which may exacerbate the situation. Larger fish are normally stronger fish and can often "fight off" ailments over time. Perhaps RamPuppy can offer more suggestions.

Maracyn products are bacterial type specific. If you follow the instructions there really isn't much danger. Catfish are hardy, it was lucky. I wouldn't risk a puffer though. Pop eye is caused by bacterial infection.

Which Maracyn is appropriate - 1 or 2? Also, is it this product that has gram + and Gram - ?

Back