What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand Sphagnum

I am looking to obtain a quantity of this, if anyone can help me find a supplier.  I am also interested in finding a source for "Supersphagnum".  Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Tamlin,
I was researching on sources of NZ sphagnum myself. I found several comanies that sell big bales of the stuff in NZ, but no bulk resaler in the US. I'm guessing shipping and certificates might raise the price, but Cp nurseries should offer the stuff in reasonable quantities.
Peter

I don't know if this counts but I find it occasionally at Lowe's NZ Sphagnum moss for Orchids it's labeled says a product of NZ also. I know it's at retail and not wholesale which I am assuming you are looking for.

I am starting to be interested in getting a bale of the stuff right from NZ if I can find a way to do it, and divvy it up amongst other interested growers, so if anyone learns of a source there let me know.

I sure wish PFT would carry these products (hint hint).

I have had some very good results in germinating seed in the Supersphag!

Tamlin, from what Tony P. has told me, "Super sphag" is nothing special, simply sphagnum finely ground up. I make a similar product for myself by taking a handful of dry regular blonde spahgnum (NZ) and grind it between my hands over a pail of water. This crushes it up into tiny fluffy pieces good for seedling and cuttings of tender plants. No need to buy two different products. I think Nep G said once that he makes his fine sphagnum powder by using an old blender.

If you have a Bachmanns or Linders florist/nursery nearby they sell everything from the compressed cards of long fibered spagnum moss to compressed bricks and double size bricks of blonde NZ sphagnum.

Only difference is that Supersphagnum is ground up sphagnum "heads" All they do is take that little star shaped area and mince it to oblivion. I get the same results with my blender.....need to fix it now hehe was mixing up soem orchid bark and a piece got caught and took a chunk out of the blender container.
tounge.gif

Even though I am maybe a yellow belt in cps and soil I perfer NZ sphagnum.
smile.gif

Dean Cook carries supersphagnum. My interpretation is that all the loose bits that come off as they pack the long fiber stuff gets minced up and compressed into little blocks. It looks alot like the sphagnum fines you can get here in the states except it is a little courser. I buy my NZ/Chilean (hard to tell the difference they are both excellent quality) from OFE International out of Miami. You can get the small brick size blocks all the way up to 5kilo bales. The 5kilo bale is several cubic feet.. and it is rock solid they compress the stuff so much when it's packed by the exporting company.

Tony

I have a hard time telling NZ from Chilean sphagnum moss. As as example, I bought a 2 cu ft bale of sphagnum that I thought was NZ (from looks and not from actually reading the bag) and its actually a Chilean sphagnum.

I can get three types of sphagnum moss in my area. New Zealand, Chilean, and Wisconsin.

Here is the link to OFE. Calwest has good stuff Dyflam but alittle more expensive from my experience and shipping is further for me which cost more too. OFE also carries the 5kilo bale which is nice.

OFE website is kind of crude though.. best to do a search for sphagnum to find it. OFE

Tony

Ochid supplie websites usually sell the stuff
smile.gif
I've found that when I need a weird CP product, my best bet is to add the word orchid in front of the search topic.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NickHubbell @ Jan. 20 2004,08:41)]I have a hard time telling NZ from Chilean sphagnum moss. As as example, I bought a 2 cu ft bale of sphagnum that I thought was NZ (from looks and not from actually reading the bag) and its actually a Chilean sphagnum.

I can get three types of sphagnum moss in my area. New Zealand, Chilean, and Wisconsin.
Wisconsin? ROFL! How weird is that. I guess it makes sences, just Canadian moss cross the border, but still, it's funny to here the lable. It like when I found an old old bag of it at my grandmas that was from MI (we don't have any legal sphagnum farms here any more that I know of).

Back