What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

some of you probably already know this

dont put your hand over the vibrating membrane of an ultrasonic humidifier while its on- ouch. The vibrating water above it HURTS when you touch it. (if you touch close enough). Its kinda cool though, how water vibrating can have an effect like that.

Hmmm... I wonder why that is? It doesn't seem like water particles can have enough energy to harm our skin?

SF

It doesnt really "harm" you, maybe. It just hurts. It feels like getting zapped, kinda like when you hold one of those lightning globe things in a dry place and touch someone at the same time- but you're on the recieving end.
Tiny things like h20 can hurt, such as when tiny stinging cells slash out their whips at you on jellyfish.

Stick a fork in an electrical outlet if you want to feel what the nebulizer burn feels like. Notice in the manual DO NOT TOUCH THE NEBULIZER WHILE IN OPERATION.
wink.gif

Yeah, that is good advice. don't think I'm saying to go try this. I'm saying Do Not try to put your hand over the thing.

nep, there is no external voltage on the disc, it is simply the ultrasonic waves being transmitted through the water.  The waves of course carry thier own form of kinetic energy which is converted to heat energy when stopped by your hand, fairly low power but does feel neet.

joe

Ah ok, Thanks Joe. I thought it felt similar to electrocution, probably due to the kinetic energy you mention. Thanks for pointing that out.
smile.gif

I touched mine with my finger a while back. It felt like a burn. I think I even got a blister if i remember correctly. ...all I wanted to do is clean that gunk off.
tounge.gif

Andrew

I already figured that out long ago
wink.gif
, it does'nt really hurt , just more like a zap .

I use to work at a pet store and lot's of amphibian's cages had thoes rather larger ones and touching it was less than interesting it hurt hehe. i think its the vibrations that hurt you and if u place a plants leaf on it for a period of time it looks like it was pulverized.

DM, that's because it WAS pulverized on a cellular level. Very cool. About the same effect you would get if you froze the leaf and then thawed it out.

joe

Back