What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy is over!

I am SOOOOOO sick of winter!!
sad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

it has snowed here... every...single...day...for the past 2 weeks..2 inches or more every day..many days 6" or more overnight..endlessly, day after day after day..(I live 2 miles from Lake Ontario, its the infamous "lake effect snow machine")
I have brushed off my car twice a day, sometimes 3, and thats 30 times in that 2 week span..its getting really old..

So all my CP's have been in the fridge since November 01,
almost 3 months..
normally I take them out in mid-february, but this year they are coming out early!
TODAY!
I figure they began to go dormant in October, they were outside all season, so they were likely fully dormant by mid-October anyway..thats 3 months ago!
yes, im justifying!
wink.gif

but seriously, im confidant they have had a long enough dormancy..and I need some Spring!!
So today the plants come out!
(of course, there is still almost 3 months before they can go outside for the season again! REAL winter still has 2 or 3 months to go..
sad.gif

I will take some pictures tonight!
I will take them out after I get home from work..

Scot

Are you sick of winter already? lol I'm letting mine sleep extra long this year. I want some happily rested plants so they'll throw some monstorous pitchers at me this year! (And traps for the D. muscipula
smile.gif
)

Stay warm!

Frozen in Alex Bay NY
tounge.gif

I have a D. filliformis thats been dormant since last August that is starting to break dormancy now.. and a couple of my VFTs are also showing some new growth.. hopefully dormancy is all over for me here... Dang my plants are boring when they are dormant lol

Steve

I live within sight of Lake Ontario. I just got in from the THIRD hand shoveling of our porperty today: you can't see 4 feet in front of you. 20 MPH winds that drift it back as fast as you can move it.

I second Scotty's motion, I am bringing my Dionaea out of dormancy as well and into the summer of my growroom. I am about to boost the photoperiod: I am done with pygmy gemmae (YAAAAY!) and it's time to start up spring inside at least.

My dad died of a heart attack from shoveling snow back in the fell winter of '93, and I expect that it will some day be the end of me as well. Well, where I am going at least it will be WARM!

I hate it when I hear of other people having spring on March 21st it is still frozen here on that date. Here, ground hogs day is a joke. If a groundhog were so foolish as to venture out of a hole, it would freeze in a New York minute.

When I hear Southern folk weeping for lack of snow I am amazed. I think the only reason I live here is beacuse repeated exposures to this weather resulted early on in frost bite of the brain, affecting the higher centers of reasoning.

Winter_in_Oswego.sized.jpg

i love snow! We've been a bit short so far this winter, but that's all going to change:

Rtavn1321.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Looks like we'll be sharing some of this lovely snow with our Neighbors across the Pond.
I would like to add - for the benefit of those who live any where south of New York - that the vehicle in Tamlin's picture is a private truck, probably headed to clean out some lucky (rich) person's driveway.  Those plows are not big enough to plow our streets.  I'll have to ask him to lie in wait for one of our city plows.  Won't be too long of a wait, there's a lot of plowing being done out there tonight - and tomorrow...    
wow.gif

Scottychaos: Are you from Rochester proper or like Irondequoit or Fairport or...
Nepenthes Gracilis: Where is Alex Bay? I spent ~20 years of my adult life in the city of Buffalo. In January of '99 we received snow 16 out of 17 consecutive days. they weren't dustings, either. You all know I'm talking about! My son and I were out shoveling every day, removeing the barricades at the end of our driveway, placed by the snowplows and looking for creative ways of disposing of the snow from the sidewalk. In Reading, PA they are wimps. It is like perpetual November down here. A couple inches and there's a 2 hour school delay. Any more than that and the schools are closed. Remember when Watertown had 48" in one day (1977)?

Hi Jimscott, ah you know where Watertown is! Well get a map find watertown and go north of the city till you come to the St. lawrence river and look for the little dot of Alexandria Bay AKA The Thousand Islands Region/Tourists paradise.
cool.gif
laugh.gif

Anywhere near Gouveneur? (sp). Had some college (PSUC) friends from there.

Lake MI has been doing a good job of making snow this year too. My plants refused to go dorment on time this year >_< so they have only been underground since.... around the 20th of december. I'll probubly check on them this weekend... When I want spring, I don't wake up my old plants, I buy new ones LOL! So far this winter, 1 all red trap VFT, and a pile of plants I have not yet seen but are at my house from Copper (thanks again copper).... Oh and my pygmi from BCK.

Hey guys,

When I was a kid back in 1966 we got 3 feet of snow for 3 days straight. That's 9 FEET of snow lying flat on the ground, not counting the drifting. Beat that! The drifts were up to the roof of our 3 story home at the time. Cars were totally buried: I mean GONE, and the lower floors of houses had no light coming in because the windows all were covered. It was like being on another planet. All the landmarks were gone and it was like something out of the twilight zone! You want snow, come visit me!

Blue skys here in Cali... I think we haven't had rain for a few weeks.
tounge.gif

Ice Dragon:

You don't derserve the name!!! Lol. Rub it in guy, I'll be thinking of you when the QUAKES hit old Cali, hee hee.

Hehe, actually a year so ago they found a new fault that runs near or through my block so hey. Though when I walk to my high school at 6:30-6:45 it's cold, foggy, dark and frost every where. But yep nice blue skies lately and mild temps during the day ah yah...
tounge.gif

JimScott,
I live in Greece, the NorthWestern Suburb of Rochester.
just north of Kodak Park.
(I also work at Kodak..)

Tamlin,
yeah, you guys over in Oswego actually have it worse generally than Buffalo or Rochester!
I too am amazed when southerners say they WANT snow!
well..what they really want is just one day of "fantasy snow" like in the movies!
tounge.gif

where kids get a snow day, no one had to shovel, and no one has to drive!
up here, 5 MONTHS of constant snow is not romantic in the least..
sad.gif

Tamlin,
this reminds of a story from years back..and I think I just read you work at SUNY?
Some friends of mine went to SUNY Oswego (this was 10-12 years ago)
and I remember someone saying that sometimes there are winter days that are SOOO bad, that the college actually issues an alert saying that if a student weights *less* than a certain amount, they should not go outside that day! :0
because the winds off the lake are so extreme, if they are too light they would be in danger from the winds!
is that true or just a legend?
Scot

I don't know if it is true or not, but being a scant 100Lbs and getting blown all over from lake MI winds I wish MY school would do that. I almost got knocked into a car one day... Course, we get the MI strait winds here, the most hazardest damaging winds in the WORLD! Not that they happen to that extent too often, but when they do, just prey your not in the path or your dead, or in a lot of pain flattend againced the ground under rubble. Litterally, NOTHING is left standing in the path of these winds. We had the first in 20 odd years I think last year maybe? I don't know, but it made earthquake and hericain sights look pretty. We are talking miles and miles of NOTHING LEFT! Very freaky... anyhow, our normal winds tend to be a bit stronge as well, lol ;)

New Englanders, I have to tell you, I miss it. I love snow and winter sports. In Nebraska it gets very cold and windy, but not much snow. We are still in a sever drought. So although I get to stand out in -10 with windchill making -30 or worse, I do not get the fun. Oh, I remember the snow shoeing and cross country skiing *sigh* Well, a least we have the retirement land in Minnesota. Hopefully we get a cabin built prior to retirement. I have a waaaayys to go for that.

I remember an 8' snow in Chelmsford, Mass.

HI Jimscott, Yes we are around 40 miles away from Governeur.

scottychaos, my aunt works at the Kodak center still. Know anyone by the name of Lori Paro?

Amen, I can not wait for dormancy to be done with...I forgot when I put my vft's in the refrig but I will take them out in the middle/end of Feb. Dude if my vft's survive I can get more, as then I will be more confident.
smile.gif

Travis

Yeah, the Bay Area has had it good this winter. We've had a few minor freezes, but no big thing. I am from the Big Sky country though, and snow there drifts at 30' (in certain places) with snowfall burying houses occasionally, wind chills to -60 degrees. Glad I left when I did. We will be breaking dormancy naturally this year around mid-March or mid-April. It is good to have a long growing season, and glad I am not in Montana, with relatives in South Dakota, or Copper-land (Nebraska), though I love those states too.

Back