What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I recently came across a number of my old bonsai pots and had forgotten how attractive…and if I remember correctly…very expensive they are.  Most are glazed, and I plan on repotting some of my CPs in them next weekend.
Most pots are 3" to 4" deep and I am sure they will work just fine for all of the VFTs and larger Drosera.  One is 8" x 7" x 4 inches deep and a beautiful "VFT" green shading down to a dark green metallic color.  Picture a squad of dentes standing at attention in it with their bright red mouths wide open,
cool.gif

However, some pots are only 1" to 2" deep.  Will P. agnata x moranensis, D. intermedia, capillaris, spatulata and burmanni grow in these shallow ones?
I use the tray method for watering.

I use deep bonsai pots for my succulents and cacti myself..and I know for certain they will work for most pings. I had my p. moranesis var. caudata in a shallow 2" deep for a short time. I'm not sure about 1" for the ping and the other ones listed but it should work okay for burmannii.

Be careful about having any minerals stuck in the clay of the bonsai pot. Soak overnight/rinse it a few times and put some experimental plants in there first to test it out.

Ever think about lithops? They look great in bonsai pots.

I did all the soaking part and stuff and am bringing one of my dentes out of the frige to plant in a very attractive, 4" tall by 3" pot.  I hope this works because it would be a shame to not be able to use all of those nice looking pots.
I don't have a lithop but that sounds like a good idea.
smile.gif

Want my last 15 seeds? Email if you're interested. I don't recommend it unless you've got lots of patience - it took me one year to grow them to the size on a pencil eraser. Easier to buy them at Lowe's if you have the chance.

I went to Target today and to my surprise they had some really nice big venus flytraps in bonsai pots for sale . They were the dente form and they were 14 bucks each with 2 plants in each bonsai pot , but i did'nt buy any because thats really expensive . They came from bloom rite ( the same company thats sells those so called cobra lilies in the glass vase , the big nepenthes in tall pots , and the vfts in the pasltic cylinders ) and the way they put the plants in was to take 2 small ( 2 inch ) pots , put big vft dentes in them , plant them in pure peat moss , put the pots into the big bonsai pot , and then put green moss in to fill in the gap between the bonsai pot and the the small pots and cover the soil . It looked quite nice too , althought they would've died anyways , they were on a dark shelf , they would've lived if they were put on the top rack where the fluorescent lights were and if they were watered but even if someone did buy them , the intructions were just regular bonsai plant instructions , bound to kill a cp quickly .

they have those at my Target- but I haven't seen them myself

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wickedthistle @ Jan. 26 2004,02:18)]Want my last 15 seeds? Email if you're interested. I don't recommend it unless you've got lots of patience - it took me one year to grow them to the size on a pencil eraser. Easier to buy them at Lowe's if you have the chance.
I still have a bunch of lithop seed, mixed species and one clumping form of L. optica. Let me know if anyone's interested.

But remember, like she said, it takes a lot of patience...a lot. :p

Back