What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Being colorblind really takes away from life

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Well, I was browsing the net and came across a website that gives some examples of what colors look like to color blind people. I had to get some non colorblind people, my wife for one, to tell me that was I was looking at was indeed a different colored image.

As an example, here is a S. 'Judith Hindle" that I think is very colorful.
S_JudithHindleBeforeColorBlindCon.jpg

All, I can say is that its a wonderful color. However, this is how I actually see the image (not that I can tell the difference between these two image, they look exactly the same to me).

What a Red/Green Color Blind person sees the above image as:

S_JudithHindleAfterColorBlindCon.jpg

So, if you are not colorblind, you should see a big difference between the two images. If you are Red/Green colorblind, you probably think they are the same, just as I do.

Wow Nick, Sorry to hear about your new found inablility. But hey... they are still very pritty arn't they!
Andrew

I feel sorry for the people who can not live their life to the fullest or see the beauty of what nature beholds.

Nick, I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you know that secret message thing they do (I remember them on cereal boxes and happy meals) where you hold the clear red plastic window over the jumble to see the message? Can you read those without the red window? I had a couple friends when I was a kid who could see those messages just as if they were written on plain paper. Kind of interesting the unique things in people. Nice Sar too.. wish mine would look that good no matter what color people see them lol.
biggrin.gif

Steve

sorry to hear about your inabilty nick , that must really suck not see see everything the way most people see it
sad.gif

I should say the site converts images sent to it so it gives an idea how the image looks to those who are color blind. The image above is from one of my S. 'Judith Hindle's.

Unfortunate as it may be, both of them look pretty good!
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

Capslock

I have known i was colorblind since I was very young. It always kinda made me upset when my sister could read the color test numbers and I couldn't. This is the first time that I have been able to show somewhat what I see things as when they can see the full color range. I still cannot believe those two images are different. They are identical to me.

I can't see the numbers on those tests either(or at least I see parts of them)..but that picture looks different to me(but not by much). The left part of the lid is reddish, in the second one its green and lighter. Obviously I can tell the difference between a Red tee shirt and a green one. Are there different levels of colorblindness?

I usta think purple was a really dark blue...and on Paint, I could barely tel the diff between 2 of the colors until I painbucketed half and half(prolly around 7).

Hello Nick,

My husband is color blind. He used to wear a red contact and a clear one in an attempt to see color, but has given it up. When ever we go to a another state I have to tell him what color the traffic light is until he gets used to their order. It is difficult to imagine what he sees as color. This site will help others understand. His younger brother is colorblind as well. I have a question about Zachary. Sometimes he calls green brown and visa versa. But sometimes he get them right to.

In college I had to make sure he dressed in corresponding colors. Now we just make sure that all his clothing can go together. Oh yeah, the UPS truck is not green.

Sorry to hear that Nick. It really does take some of the life out of the plants. It is amazing what I take for granted.
rock.gif

Travis

Thanks, Nick, for making that post.  I think it's those kind of differences in us that makes life so interesting.  Others may see it as a deficit, sounds like you did yourself at one time, but I see it as a way in which you are special & it makes me wonder what other kinds of specialness are in us all that we, perhaps, have not yet discovered.  And, if we are lucky enough to discover them, how will we use our uniqueness to our best advantage?  You did, Nick, by bringing it to everyone's awareness & hopefully, open some minds.  I have heard of people who can smell music. That could be annoying, don't you think? Thanks for posting that link, too. Very interesting.

If I remember my high school genetics correctly, colorblindness is passed by the females but only the males are actually affected by it. Boys get it from their moms, but dont pass it to their sons. I *think* that dads can give it to their daughters who in turn can pass it to their sons. Been a while since Ive read anythng about that but I am pretty sure thats how it goes.

Copper what state do you drive in where the lights are in different orders? Every state Ive ever driven in its always red, yellow, green top-bottom...

Cheers
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Copper what state do you drive in where the lights are in different orders? Every state Ive ever driven in its always red, yellow, green top-bottom...

In some places the stop lights are not top to bottom but left to right. I'm sure that at some big intersections, where there are stop lights that have left or right signals beside the normal stoplights can be confusing. In Kentucky all the stop lights housings are black. I have never figured out why.
Nick is the only person that I really knew that was colored blind. After a few conversation with him about "what he sees" compared to the way most people see has really opened my eyes about color blindness. I never had any idea what people with it see.
I have always believed that when a person has a difficulty with one thing the brain usually developes in another area and they excell at something else. In Nicks case I think his brain put all the extra brain power in knowing how to grow plants. Some people can't grow anything, some has to put alot of effort into their plants. Then there are some that they seem to be able to grow anything as easy as breathing. I'm in the second catagory and Nick is in the last. After seeing his plants in person I realized that Nick as a special talent that I only wished I had.

As the other guys have already said, thanks for the link Nick!
My father is colourblind and though he has tried to explain to me what he sees I could never appreciate it. The site is excellent.
In Australia there are a few jobs that are closed to colourblind people, such as electrician, for obvious reasons. Is it the same in the states?

Cheers, Troy.

I will say that being color blind makes it hard to work with electronics in sewing machines. I am just glad that most companies have now started using different colored plugs or sized plugs that can only go in one slot.

I never installed an alarm system in my old Cougar because I couldn't tell the difference between the red and pink wires. Heck, there were 4 that all looked the same to me.

I will try and get some images up of other plants. I am going to take a photo of the thread rack we have at work to run through that filter to show my coworkers. It took me awhile to explain that the image that looked odd the them was how I saw both images. All I got back was that no, this is a different image, the colors are off and this should be this, and this should be this, etc.

One thing that does bug me is that when a wrong color is chosen, someone else has to correct the color and say "no, that is not brown, its green". Well, I warned you that I was colorblind so what I see may not be what you see. So... you pick it out.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Jan. 27 2004,21:38)]Do you know that secret message thing they do (I remember them on cereal boxes and happy meals) where you hold the clear red plastic window over the jumble to see the message?  Can you read those without the red window?   I had a couple friends when I was a kid who could see those messages just as if they were written on plain paper. Kind of interesting the unique things in people.  Nice Sar too.. wish mine would look that good no matter what color people see them lol.
biggrin.gif

Steve
I'm not colorblind... actually I can see more colors then average, and I can read those things easy. I think it might be more of a pattern reading thing than a color level.

(My extra color vision is a little in each direction, I found out in chem class from recording color bars for diff chemicals. I could see one bar extra in each direction for this one compound and teacher said she only gets those once every year or two, but they actually ARE there.
smile.gif
is cool yah?)

As to being color blind. I don't think they miss out on much because to miss something you must know what it is. Humans are colorblind in conparison to a lot of other animals and we don't usually even give that a thought. Yup, their are animals that can see UV shade and those that can see temperatures so... do we miss these? I don't.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nflytrap @ Jan. 27 2004,22:50)]I can't see the numbers on those tests either(or at least I see parts of them)..but that picture looks different to me(but not by much). The left part of the lid is reddish, in the second one its green and lighter. Obviously I can tell the difference between a Red tee shirt and a green one. Are there different levels of colorblindness?

I usta think purple was a really dark blue...and on Paint, I could barely tel the diff between 2 of the colors until I painbucketed half and half(prolly around 7).
MANY MANY levels of colorblindness. Infact, most "colorblind" people just have reduced color vision, not compleat lack of red-green and/or blue-yellow. If you can see the red, you probubly are green confution while Nick is oviously a red confution. Telling the two appart is hard, but their are differences... I know an awfull lot of colorblind people and they are all over the map on what they can see. I even know one guy who is 100% colorblind.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Jan. 28 2004,19:54)]If I remember my high school genetics correctly, colorblindness is passed by the females but only the males are actually affected by it. Boys get it from their moms, but dont pass it to their sons. I *think* that dads can give it to their daughters who in turn can pass it to their sons. Been a while since Ive read anythng about that but I am pretty sure thats how it goes.

Copper what state do you drive in where the lights are in different orders? Every state Ive ever driven in its always red, yellow, green top-bottom...

Cheers
Steve
Sex-linked

On X chromasome, but resesive by nature

Soo

Females must have 2 colorblind X's to be colorblind, 1 to carry.
Males only have 1 X so it's defulted to colorblind if that is what they got. AKA, colorblindness comes from Mom in males and both mom and dad in females.

Back